• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland gull id help please. (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, this photo (original size and a cropped version attached) was taken on Aug 16, 2022 at about 5:30 pm just beside the harbour in Grundarfjörður, Vesturland province, Iceland. I had been taking a few photos of Glaucous gulls and wanted to practice taking some flight shots. Practice needed as this is the only one that actually had a bird in it:)
Anyways, it certainly does not look like a Glaucous gull. The closest id I can get to is a Sabine's gull, based on the bit of wing pattern I can see and the black head. The yellow bill, if that is in fact what it is, would suggest it is not that either I believe. After puzzling over it a bit I am now asking for help in making an identification, or at least some ideas as to possibilities so as to somewhat sate my curiosity. According to ebird records Sabine is possible though very uncommon in August there.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• DSCN9482.JPG
    DSCN9482.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 84
  • fullsizeoutput_15ba.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_15ba.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 86
Thank you Andrew and Andrew, your id very much appreciated. I have seen them on the west coast of Canada but not the european species so doubly appreciated.
steve

Thank you for that Butty. I just learned my ability to discern colours is somewhat compromised as I do not see it as pink but clearly as yellow. Goes to show I should be careful about relying on colours and should focus on patterns and structures I guess.
thanks for that
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back