• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Legged Gull and Merlin App- Hampshire UK (1 Viewer)

StephenHampshire

United Kingdom
I'd like to ask the Forum's opinion on the ability of the Merlin bird ID app to identify a YLG. I regularly visit a small lake close to my house in Hampshire. There are normally good numbers of water birds present. Tonight I visited, and was pleased to see some good displays from the resident Marsh Harriers and heard several Cetti's warblers. Merlin identified these along with the teal, Canada geese, and mallard present. It also told me there was at leat 1 Yellow Legged Gull present. My gull identifcation skills are not good, I could see some possibilities there, but there are Herring gulls and both Lesser and Greater black backed gulls there too most tomes (although didn't see a GBB tonight) I'd like to ask if the Yellow legged can be reliably identified by sound? I will add that YLG are found on the coast 15-20 miles away quite frequently, but I've not seen reports of them where I am in Hampshire (UK)

I have a had a YLG come up on mine when recording sound in my garden but I am near the the coast. I have found the Merlin photo I.d a little hit and miss, get different results if zoomed in a bit more 🤔

I wouldn't count on Merlin's photo ID unless confirmed manually. Its sound ID feature seems to generally do a better job but still needs confirmation, and I wouldn't identify gulls on sound (and what about hybrids?). For some more discussion, see my thread below:

EDIT: Regarding Merlin wrongly hearing YLGs:

I wouldn't count on Merlin's photo ID unless confirmed manually. Its sound ID feature seems to generally do a better job but still needs confirmation, and I wouldn't identify gulls on sound (and what about hybrids?). For some more discussion, see my thread below:

EDIT: Regarding Merlin wrongly hearing YLGs:
Thank you, I wasn't confident that in the sound ID

Users who are viewing this thread

Back