• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goatsucker from the US (1 Viewer)

Hi, this is a nightjar from Sept, from Denver (?). It was posted on a friend's website, saying it is a "Night Hawk". I'm pretty sure it isn't a Common Nighthawk, but since I have no experience with American Caprimulgiformes I'm a bit lost here. Looks like a Common Poorwill to me, with a much-too-long tail... Any ideas? Cheers, Axel

Attachments

• nightjar.JPG
    nightjar.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
I will not dare to ID American Nightjars for others, but I have to say that I have never heard about them being called goatsuckers - and now, thanks to you, I have, I have read the story about it and my life is a little bit richer :)

I will not dare to ID American Nightjars for others, but I have to say that I have never heard about them being called goatsuckers - and now, thanks to you, I have, I have read the story about it and my life is a little bit richer :)
In German they (the whole family) are called "Ziegenmelker" (literally "goat milkers"). Sibley uses "goatsuckers" in his field guide, with two groups contained therein: nighjars and nighthawks :)

I agree that the tail looks a bit long, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing else it could be other than Common Poorwill.

Here are links to two eBird photos (Macaulay Library) showing tails almost as long as the OP bird.

I agree that the tail looks a bit long, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing else it could be other than Common Poorwill.

Here are links to two eBird photos (Macaulay Library) showing tails almost as long as the OP bird.

Thanks for commenting and for the example pics.

In German they (the whole family) are called "Ziegenmelker" (literally "goat milkers"). Sibley uses "goatsuckers" in his field guide, with two groups contained therein: nighjars and nighthawks :)
Caprimulgus means "goat milker" :)
I read something many years ago that suggested the name originated from them occurring next to where cattle was kept due to the abundance of insects in those places.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back