• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle Poisoned (1 Viewer)

Well, then. For the sake of the birds that are being poisoned in Scotland, I feel you should have this information. I have rung The Crown Office in Edinburgh for a current email address of the Procurators Fiscal. The man I spoke to at The Crown Office was very supportive, having seen about Alma on BBC1 this week (The One Show) and having himself encountered memorably a sea eagle at close quarters. At first he wondered if we realised the serious problem that we face – that of changing Scottish law (regarding legal penalties). He thought about it and then said he felt that public expression of concern might be a way, if not the only way, that the laws would be changed (in effect, through the Scottish politicians). He feels the TV publicity will be very helpful in this. He said it is the politicians who can change the law - and will be more inclined to do so under public pressure. He advocated that we write in the first instance to MSPs (eg Roseanna Cunningham, Minister at Holyrood; any others?) and also to the House of Commons - to our own MPs, to the Minister (Huw Irranca-Davies) and to the local MP for Angus (who is Mike Weir). There is also Chris Davies the MEP who has campaigned against poisons. It was suggested that it would be helpful also to post correspondence about changing the law to The Crown Office / Procurators Fiscal (main office in Edinburgh). Addresses are all available online. I've now had a go at doing all that. I've also suggested that the RSPB contacts more of the pro-active bird-lovers in the media (eg Simon Barnes at The Times). What about the SpringWatch/AutumnWatch personalities who have a large following - do any of you have such contacts? Surely we can each and every one of us do something positive rather than just engaging angrily on messageboards? There IS hope. And there is hope of a better future. PLEASE put aside any feelings of negativity, cynicism or animosity and do what you can to support these birds - and forgive any apparent presumptuousness on my part. I only have the good of the birds in mind.

I am no doubt being naive, Stewart, but who on earth does this spokesman for the Scottish Gamekeepers (and therefore the Scottish Gamekeepers as a group) think IS poisoning the birds, then?

As said Mex "disturbing" did you read on about the Buzzards?

Stewart
Yes, I did, Stewart. And you may well have guessed that I love buzzards. I also read on further to the use of 'legal' snares that kill dogs amongst other creatures! In Ireland, I gather that poisoning itself is legal provided that notices are put up saying that poison has been laid - see www.goldeneagle.ie/news_viewnews.php What century do all these people belong to and can we somehow wake up everyone else to the barbarism, if not them?

This kind of thing really makes my blood boil, it is obvious what goes on and who is responsible but when the culprits end up court they just get a slap on the wrist.

Action should be taken, is there any kind of action group which disrupts the shoot in a similar way to when Fox hunting was legal and you would get a crowd of anti hunt protestors getting in the way of the hunt.

It is no good just relying on the RSPB or the justice system in my opinion, I may be speaking out of line here but it just really upsets and annoys me.

Somebody please tell me I am wrong

This kind of thing really makes my blood boil, it is obvious what goes on and who is responsible but when the culprits end up court they just get a slap on the wrist.

Action should be taken, is there any kind of action group which disrupts the shoot in a similar way to when Fox hunting was legal and you would get a crowd of anti hunt protestors getting in the way of the hunt.

It is no good just relying on the RSPB or the justice system in my opinion, I may be speaking out of line here but it just really upsets and annoys me.

Somebody please tell me I am wrong

Cartman, you are wrong. Forgive me - I don't find that easy to say. I am the one who appears to be out of line here. I believe that we cannot just sit here getting upset - or annoyed. The Scottish Gamekeepers appear to feel THEY are upset and annoyed. This sort of aggressive suggestion feeds off itself and the world at large just gets more and more upset, annoyed - and aggressive. We have to get our own thinking right, each and every one of us. We mustn't be almost mesmerised into apathy, futility and inactivity. That is what evil-thinking and evil-doing would wish. We don't have to go down that route. Each and every one of us CAN do something. We can start with getting our own thinking right and then DO something that might help. I've only just taken my own blinkers off. If there is something that might (even just conceivably might) help the birds, then should I / we not be doing it? Each of us may find some different way forward. We just have to stay alert to the truth - and then act on it with the best of motives, and expect good. Kind regards to you, and to all.

PS I did't mean you are wrong to want to do something. It's just that we mustn't react with the sort of behaviour that these people themselves would advocate or benefit from - whether it is apathy or aggression.

OK, I've covered using Celebrities as figureheads, etc; I've also said tactics must change. What I haven't said is that there is a way to raise awareness that, AFAIK, hasn't been tried yet.

Firstly, who is the enemy here, Gamekeepers, Landowners, evil people? As I see it the enemy is Capitalism, Profit. What ever excuse is given, BsOP are killed mainly to protect, or increase, profit. It's all about money; you can't defeat Capitalism, it's how most of the world works.

The most important thing to remember is these people raise birds to be shot for "sport", they only do this to make money. They don't have any other motives, BsOP affect their profit, they must protect their business.

So, you can't fight business with emotion, and emotion is the only weapon we appear to have. Somehow we have to convince the Public, and Government, that some things are more important than making money (not an easy task).

Everything tried so far hasn't worked, because nobody knows we've tried anything except us. When people become aggrieved at Government they eventually turn to public protest. So why not arrange for a few thousand like- minded people to turn up at Westminster to show how they feel. I dunno, with emotive placards "Stop the slaughter of Birds for profit", something like that. (Actually that slogan won't work, it sounds like it's against killing in general, not everyone is a Vegetarian)

Let's say there are a few hundred active members of this forum, how many would be prepared to give up a day to protest. It's a lot harder than a few clicks to sign a petition, but it might actually help to change things.

I know what you are thinking, "you'd be lucky to get 50 people to protest, people have to go to work, etc". But you must know like-minded people, in turn they must know people. It might be possible to get a few hundred people, that's a start. Maybe even the RSPB might get involved, maybe the odd celebrity, who knows.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'm trying to think of something to do, maybe my plan won't work, maybe it's flawed. Maybe, as just a garden bird watcher and Nature lover, I've no idea what I'm talking about.

So what's your plan?

Thanks for your positive suggestions, Chris. I do agree - whatever the previous antipathy towards raptors was in previous generations, at present it is indeed greed that is at the root of the problem. Why rear birds to make money from shooting them and then make emotive statements about feeling 'upset' that the local wildlife gets to a few of them first?! To be more constructive: I felt that it is the RSPB with its huge membership that could get things moving and so I emailed people at their Head Office. I asked them to involve in a more pro-active campaign the 'big names' they are quoting on their website as being supportive (eg Leonardo di Caprio at the moment). I'm not sure I'm using the right avenue to email the right people at the RSPB HQ - I don't have any contacts there and haven't had any replies as yet. Perhaps their Scottish office would be more likely to act on the eagle/buzzard problem? I was told that the current hierarchy of one organisation (is it Scottish Natural Heritage or another organisation??) might not be too supportive of all this, as its leadership is too close to the hunting/shooting fraternity and the estate-owning plutocracy. Apparently this has been causing problems for climbers even. This is just hearsay - I don't know much about the 'political' situation in Scottish environmental issues. Perhaps one of you others has more information as to which environmental groups might be supportive of any such campaign? The RSPB should really be onto this. PERHAPS THOSE OF YOU WITH PERSONAL CONNECTIONS THERE COULD ENCOURAGE MORE ACTION REGARDING POLITICIANS AND THE LAW IN SCOTLAND? The Crown Office told me that Scottish politicans can change the law and may do so under pressure. The RSPB (if any organisation) with its huge membership and resources is able to put pressure on politicians, whether in Scotland or generally. At the momemt politicians need all the 'friendly' contact they can get and may be more cooperative than has been the case for a very long time.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but you will have seen this or know about it, but just in case, look at http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/top/Community-action-follows-death-of.5558572.jp The local community is actually doing something positive. I notice that 'Angus Council leader and farmer on Millden estate, Bob Myles, said: "I agree with the first comment, but we have to be careful what we say until the outcome of the police investigation. Everyone is appalled with the death of the bird."' I trust that the Council leader's position on the Millden estate (the estate under investigation) will not result in any bias. He was obviously being circumspect. Presumably he is a tenant farmer??

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but you will have seen this or know about it, but just in case, look at http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/top/Community-action-follows-death-of.5558572.jp The local community is actually doing something positive. I notice that 'Angus Council leader and farmer on Millden estate, Bob Myles, said: "I agree with the first comment, but we have to be careful what we say until the outcome of the police investigation. Everyone is appalled with the death of the bird."' I trust that the Council leader's position on the Millden estate (the estate under investigation) will not result in any bias. He was obviously being circumspect. Presumably he is a tenant farmer??

Thanks for the update, Mex. As you said, it's a reaction from the local community, which is encouraging.

I just hope that those responsible for killing the bird are actually caught and punished. Although I feel that punishment may be less important than revealing who was responsible, and their motives. Many in this forum may think they know why this happened, but the Public has no idea.

I must confess that I feel there is a chance that Alma didn't die in vain. There is just a chance that some good can come from this.

Thanks for the update, Mex. As you said, it's a reaction from the local community, which is encouraging.

I just hope that those responsible for killing the bird are actually caught and punished. Although I feel that punishment may be less important than revealing who was responsible, and their motives. Many in this forum may think they know why this happened, but the Public has no idea.

I must confess that I feel there is a chance that Alma didn't die in vain. There is just a chance that some good can come from this.

Let us hope so, Chris. This is why I started posting stuff - we have GOT to encourage action, and then expect some good to come from it. Otherwise we just give up and sit in our own little corner of the world and hang our heads or get angry (according to our disposition). Good for the local people in Angus, huh? I also got a positive reply from Roseanna Cunningham's office. At least the politicians know that wildlife crime is regarded as an important issue when they see us make the effort to contact them regarding such barbarism. Perhaps some more of you might contact her office and the local politicians - or perhaps you have all done so already?

Let us hope so, Chris. This is why I started posting stuff - we have GOT to encourage action, and then expect some good to come from it. Otherwise we just give up and sit in our own little corner of the world and hang our heads or get angry (according to our disposition). Good for the local people in Angus, huh? I also got a positive reply from Roseanna Cunningham's office. At least the politicians know that wildlife crime is regarded as an important issue when they see us make the effort to contact them regarding such barbarism. Perhaps some more of you might contact her office and the local politicians - or perhaps you have all done so already?

Do you have an email address for Roseanna Cunningham, I will contact her too. I agree action needs to be taken but what?

Have done just that, mentioned the Goldie that was killed and also put the link to the RSPB pledge against illegal killings

Your comment hasn't shown up, whereas mine just did. I eventually worked out that it only works if you use Internet Explorer (I use Firefox). I tried 4 times yesterday, finally accepted my comment this morning.

I've had to duplicate my comment as there was a typo and there's no way to edit original. (stupid system)

Just logged in quick:

All of the comments, including mine, have been removed from the Daily Mail article. I really hope it's just a temporary error, but my paranoia is starting to kick in.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back