• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gonolek (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
Does anybody know the origin of the name "Gonolek." I cannot find anything at all other than that it seems to date back to Linneas or even before. Thanks.

Certainly Linnaeus gave the name Lanius barbarus to a bird which subsequently became the type species of genus Laniarius Vieillot 1816. However I don't believe either of those gentlemen gave an English name to that species.

On the other hand... after a bit more web searching it appears that Vieillot did indeed name the genus "Gonolek". A French name instead of an English name, but clearly borrowed into English. Here's the link which Wikipedia provided for the OD: Vieillot's OD

The document says "Gonolek, Buff" so perhaps the name came from something by Buffon?

... and if you search the web you'll find a lot of dealers selling art work attributed to Buffon including a bird labelled "Le Gonolek". Example here: Le Gonolek et al. I assume the word must come from an African language.

... and more searching produces a book which says that Buffon "noted that its meaning was 'feeder on insects' in a Senegalese language". The original source for that was Buffon's Histoire Naturelle volume 1 (?).

Does anybody know the origin of the name "Gonolek." I cannot find anything at all other than that it seems to date back to Linneas or even before. Thanks.
On the other hand... after a bit more web searching it appears that Vieillot did indeed name the genus "Gonolek". ...
... says that Buffon "noted that its meaning was 'feeder on insects' in a Senegalese language". The original source for that was Buffon's Histoire Naturelle volume 1 (?).

Quick one ... (even if nothing much to add)

All in line with what's told in Jobling's Key to Scientific Names (here):
gonolek
Apparently a Senegalese name, meaning 'insect-eater,' for this bush-shrike; from “Le Gonolek” of de Buffon 1770-1783 (syn. Laniarius barbarus).

In my own (Swedish) notes, and MS (re. the Swedish Common/Vernacular Bird names – of all the Birds of the World), I have it as something like (in short, and in English):
From Buffon's non-binary (French) name Le Gonolek (1770). Buffon, in his turn, got it from Monsieur Adanson [*] who had told/informed him that this Bird was called gonolek by the locals in Senegal, meaning ”mangeur d’insectes”.

And Paul, the original source is/was indeed Buffon's Histoire naturelle des oiseaux, Vol. 1 (from 1770): page 249 [here, with the "planche 56" (Plate 56) here].

Enjoy!

Björn

*Monsieur Adanson = the French naturalist, primarily botanist, Michel Adanson (1727–1806), who collected in Senegal 17481753 (here)

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone! I eventually found the Jobling source on my own, but this extra detail is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back