• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grasshopper ID (1 Viewer)

This Grasshopper was post on the Yorkshire thread, can anyone help with the ID
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1534552&postcount=8316

The Grasshopper is a Meadow Grasshopper (Chorthippus parallelus).
It is a purple morph. Colour polymorphism is a common trait with Meadow Grasshoppers, the purple morph being the most striking. The brown morph is probably the most likely to be seen.
The polymorphism trait has now been shown to be fitness related and females of the brown morph are more prolific egg layers than any othe colour varieties.
The purple morph is not uncommon, but it is very local, and where you find one, you find many.Grasshopper populations can get isolated due to their poor flying abilities, even a ditch will prevent population movement.
It is interesting that you mention a chalk habitat, as all of the purple morphs I have seen have been on a chalky soil although I don't feel that chalk is a link with the morphism, but chalky soils do favour the grasshoppers food plants.

Last edited:
Just started looking at Orthoptera and my initial id for the photo was Common green Grasshopper.
Shape of, and markings on the keel are good for this species. Also there appears to be no costal bulge, which would be present on Meadow Grasshopper.

Well, these couple of posts have got me thinking. I said 'meadow' based on two clues from the original post, 'chalk' and the photo, which shows the grasshopper as 'a bit podgy'. I always feel that meadow grasshoppers look a bit shorter and fatter than field grasshoppers. Added to this, I have never seen a purple morph of the Common Field Grasshopper, but have seen this colour morph in male, female and nymph meadow grasshoppers.
I'm no expert, and the post has got me intrigued, so I hope a knowledgeable Orthopteroider will jump in and add to the thread.

Paul & Brian are spot on, Common Green Grasshopper it is, the lack of a costal bulge rules out Meadow Grasshopper, this would be obvious from the angle of the photo. The photo shows a female the shape of the ovipositor being correct for Common Green, also wing length = abdomen which is correct for Common Green, Meadow usually has shorter wings & the rare macropterous (long-winged form) has the wing length > abdomen. Other features in favour of Common Green are shape of pronotol side keels & the lack black knees.

Stuart

Paul & Brian are spot on, Common Green Grasshopper it is, the lack of a costal bulge rules out Meadow Grasshopper, this would be obvious from the angle of the photo. The photo shows a female the shape of the ovipositor being correct for Common Green, also wing length = abdomen which is correct for Common Green, Meadow usually has shorter wings & the rare macropterous (long-winged form) has the wing length > abdomen. Other features in favour of Common Green are shape of pronotol side keels & the lack black knees.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart.
So? Was I correct on my assumtions with this purple morph?

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/261861/ppuser/77625

Last edited:
Yes, the costal bulge can clearly be seen (between & above the mid & hind femora), as can the very short wings (male) & black knees.

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back