• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Northern Diver? Whittle Dene Reservoirs, Northumberland, England. (1 Viewer)

Richard Duffy

United Kingdom
Hello,

I saw the bird in the attached photos at Whittle Dene Reservoirs, Northumberland, England on Sunday, 14 March 2021. I have tried using the bird identifier feature on the RSPB website listing the beak as white. Of the few results that the feature returns, a Great Northern Diver is the closest match I can find for the bird. When looking at the results from a Google image search on the bird, I am unsure as to whether the bird is a Great Northern Diver. Can anyone help clarify what the bird is, please?

Best,
Richard :)

Attachments

• DSCN4879.jpeg
    DSCN4879.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4894.jpeg
    DSCN4894.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Hello Andy, Clark and Tom,

Thank you for helping/clarifying and for such a swift reponse.

The bird identifier on the RSPB site does not return a Cormorant in the results based on the colour of the beak, but upon looking the bird up on their website, they have an illustration that would match the photos well. I will be sure to dig a little harder in the future to try and find the coreect match.

Best,
Richard:)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back