• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted Woodpeckers taking ants from ant hill colonies NEast London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Witnessed the above yesterday on a local plain where Green Woodpeckers are found in good nos.
Watched an imm. Great Spotted Woodpecker fly down from a tree adjacent to the plain and proceed to “excavate” an ants nest with a Green Woodpecker already doing the same, some 5m away!
Certainly a first for me, anyone else witnessed this behaviour from GSW?

Cheers

I see GSWs doing this quite regularly in my parents garden when visiting them on weekends. The local Green Woodpecker sadly died a couple years ago so now the local GSW pair has the ants all for themselves

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back