• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tits Just Starting To Build Nest (1 Viewer)

Joolz

Hi

I've been keeping an eye on a site which monitors 7 nests, some blue and some great tits.

I was very suprised to see this morning that a great tit has just started to build a nest, I thought it was too late, obviously not.

I've got a couple of boxes in my garden, so there is still hope for me :)

Does anyone know when it will be game over in terms of nest building?

Thanks
Joolz

Thye maybe lost their first nest.

Any broods that are laid from next week probably wotn survive very well as they'll miss the caterpillar peak. You'll often find young blue and great tits right to the end of June, but they don't have much success.

On the south coast UK the Blue tits, Great Tits and the Robin chicks have all flown, at least 3 weeks ago
Riverside

On the south coast UK the Blue tits, Great Tits and the Robin chicks have all flown, at least 3 weeks ago
Riverside

I'm afraid you're mistaken for great and blue tits. They're still feeding young in the first week of life, at best. Tits are remarkably synchronised across the country, and the vast majority in the south didn't even start incubating til middle of April. To have flown 3 weeks ago would have meant eggs being laid in the middle of March. Tits breed to coincide with the moth caterpillar peak on oak and hawthorn, which is only just getting udnerway, so the young are only hatching around now.

Tits breed just once, to match the caterpillars. Robins breed up to 4 times, as they feed on other insects, so many Robin first broods have already fledged. I doubt whether any tit brood in the country has fledged yet.

I'm afraid you're mistaken for great and blue tits. They're still feeding young in the first week of life, at best. Tits are remarkably synchronised across the country, and the vast majority in the south didn't even start incubating til middle of April. To have flown 3 weeks ago would have meant eggs being laid in the middle of March. Tits breed to coincide with the moth caterpillar peak on oak and hawthorn, which is only just getting udnerway, so the young are only hatching around now.

Tits breed just once, to match the caterpillars. Robins breed up to 4 times, as they feed on other insects, so many Robin first broods have already fledged. I doubt whether any tit brood in the country has fledged yet.

I have to agree, most of the nest boxes i've put out are full of very small young at the moment but, although one or two pairs are still incubating

Last edited:
Hi
I have had seven blue tit's eggs hatch on the 10 May, all are still ok and being fed by parent's at a rapid rate. Weather is pretty mild and I have seen one or two caterpillars about. So it seems to be that your remarks are quite correct.
I have a cctv camera in the next box, not a brilliant focus, but I can see clearly what is going on.
Cheers
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back