• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (4 Viewers)

I went to Green Cay Wetlands this morning, tallying about 40 species including Virginia Rail near the gazebo on the northwest corner of the reserve.

There were also several Yellow-headed Blackbirds at the Sem Chi Rice Plant just off C880 near STA-1W.

Carlos

Carlos - the Virginia Rail is at Green Cay? I'd heard it was at Wako. Now I'm confused.

merryslug, Virginia Rail is a regular wintering species in the southern half of the peninsula...there can always be more than one around. :)

Carlos

LOL good point. I guess what I was asking was had it been spotted recently at Green Cay as well (ie making sure you weren't thinking of one place but typed the other).

And since I'm hassling you ;) Is there a particular spot at the rice plant? My coworker and I pass that fairly frequently, and she and I both would love to see a Yellow-headed Blackbird!

merryslug, the Yellow-headed Blackbirds are mixed in with the large flock of Red-winged Blackbirds right behind the silos. You can't miss the massive, roving cloud of blackbirds circulating in plague like numbers around the mounds of rice husks. You will need a scope, though, and a bit of patience (took about an hour for us).

Carlos

Paul,

In the W Palm Beach area, if you take the Beeline Hwy NW out of town there are almost always a couple of cranes along the road between here and Indiantown, just cruising the swales.

I'm usually only travelling that road mornings and late afternoons, but I almost always see them unless it's high summer.

Oh I'm liking you more and more Sluggo:

Attachments

• SHCrne 5.JPG
    SHCrne 5.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 53
  • SHCrne 4.JPG
    SHCrne 4.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 53
LOL good point. I guess what I was asking was had it been spotted recently at Green Cay as well (ie making sure you weren't thinking of one place but typed the other).

I have found that where there are Sora other rails are possible...two good spots for Sora (and rails in general following my logic) would be GC and WAK both places in the back. If you go right at the 1st fork in the boards at Wak the end of that stretch before it turns left is also a good spot.

I've seen Sandhill cranes at Okeeheelee 5 or 6 times. Except for one time when I saw 3 on the trail I have seen them to the right of the Nature Center hanging out under the big tree. It's usually a groupf of 5.

I went there yesterday no cranes but I got some good bunting pics and later on following Merrysluggs advice I got some good SH Crane pics on the Beeline.(posted here too)

Attachments

• ptndB2.JPG
    ptndB2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 62
  • ptndB f.JPG
    ptndB f.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 54
  • indB.JPG
    indB.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 62
Paul...when did you catch the buntings at OK...and are they fairly reliable now? I've already gotten plenty of the painteds at Green Cay, but wouldn't mind catching some Indigo shots - the two times I've tried Okeeheelee I was bust - couldn't even find one bird to photograph...found out I was off season (April/May). I might make a stop if they're fairly reliable now - morning or afternoon, or both?

Paul...when did you catch the buntings at OK...and are they fairly reliable now? I've already gotten plenty of the painteds at Green Cay, but wouldn't mind catching some Indigo shots - the two times I've tried Okeeheelee I was bust - couldn't even find one bird to photograph...found out I was off season (April/May). I might make a stop if they're fairly reliable now - morning or afternoon, or both?

Yesterday. Generally the best time for buntings down here is mid winter the colder the better. I was there in the late AM-early noon.

Baby herons at Wako were adorable today. Play fighting while Mom looked on proudly.

Met a very friendly cormorant today too. Another inch and I could've touched him.
Hope that doesn't mean he is unhealthy.
The little green heron was in the nest but I couldn't see if anything was happening there.

We have several peafowl behind our office. We found an egg under an oak tree where the leaves are piled quite densely as the area is never raked.
One of the males has been displaying like crazy lately. Gorgeous.

Great photos bulos!

Baby herons at Wako were adorable today. Play fighting while Mom looked on proudly.

Met a very friendly cormorant today too. Another inch and I could've touched him.
Hope that doesn't mean he is unhealthy.
The little green heron was in the nest but I couldn't see if anything was happening there.

We have several peafowl behind our office. We found an egg under an oak tree where the leaves are piled quite densely as the area is never raked.
One of the males has been displaying like crazy lately. Gorgeous.

Great photos bulos!

Tuesday

Attachments

• Cegrt.JPG
    Cegrt.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 68
Stunning bunting shots! Good grief, did they line up for you?? I am torn between jealousy and admiration :t:

Sluggo, I worked in commercial photography for 20 years or so shooting everything from jewelry to pots and pans and people; still-lifes is the best teacher for composition and lighting. I had some great teachers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back