• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Seattle (1 Viewer)

Mr.Wascall

Hi all,

We've been lifelong casual birders, but are stepping things up a level now. A month ago we picked up an Opticron MM3 60ED spotting scope at auction when Captain's Nautical Supply went under. Sad to lose Captains, but even sadder that I didn't bid on two scopes as the prices were really good and we're now realizing that if we don't get another we'll just fight over this one. My wife Betsy and I have also just signed up for a route on the Winter Raptor Survey organized by the East Cascades Audubon Society. We're looking forward to taking a deep dive into raptor ID and exploring a new part of our state.

It's been great reading real discussions about scopes and their usage on the forum. I was getting pretty tired of the "reviews" that come up as you try to find information. It will help a lot in looking for that next scope and whether to go larger and where that sweet spot is in terms of cost and utility/clarity/accuracy. Good to meet you all and I look forward to coming conversations.

Cheers,
Jamie

Hi there Jamie and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Jamie and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hello from the Olympic Peninsula! Are you saying Captain's Nautical in Seattle closed? Oh my, please say it isn't so! I loved going in to talk to Bill Cooke about optics. I hope I run into you sometime. If you want to check out some amazing Snowy Owls, they should be back at Damon Point later this winter.

I'm afraid that Captain's has closed. Covid was just too much for them. Sadly, I have no idea what has happened to Bill. More importantly I don't know where we'll get optics or nautical instruments repaired. Sorry to carry the sad news.

Thanks for letting me know about the Snowy Owls. They have already shown up in West Seattle, but I look forward to checking out Damon Point. We've been exploring the Peninsula a lot in the past few months and will try to make it out there.

Cheers,
Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back