• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GREETINGS...Introducing myself to this Forum (1 Viewer)

Hi, welcome to the forum as an artist not just as a viewer. Lovely woodpecker and an intriguing combination of materials. Can't wait for the next image.

More Drawings

Hi,welcome to BF.Please post more of your beautiful etchings

Hi All Again.....Finally had some time ,both to Work in some Bird Art,and to post in the forum again...My internet conexion would be working fully at home next week,so I will be able to saty more active,..This forum is inspiring,and i wanna use the wonderful feedback and feeling to commit myself to at least a piece a week..will see..I quoted the thread above bcause,although the piece was a drawing,with washes,the graphic feeling is there,and the idea of doing some etchings is always tempting..now,etching and aquatinta in color is challenging!!!

I did some other attempts this week ,but nothing got me to the point I wanted,finally yesteday I started this drawing of a stonechat,from a small photo...in a book..I want to eventually work only from nature or my own material,but not have the time or equipment at the moment,so ..working inside from photos has to be!...
I documented a bit the progress of the work,and was fun and interesting..is always good to review what was gained and what was lost in the decissions we made while working...I am not copletely satisfied ,but I almost lost the feeling at some point in the middle,while working the mantle,and back feathers..I ended with a piece that has an interesting feeling of color,and althoug I roamed quite a bit,didnt loose freshness...important part is that I really enjoyed working on it...

Attachments

• IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 91
Greetings Mayoayo,
Nice work here. If you're stuck indoors, have you thought about working from a videos? With a full-time job it can be difficult, and this time of year I'm restricted to weekends. Even so, I like to keep my eye-in with neighbourhood birds like crows, collared doves and starlings (be careful where you point that telescope, though!). If you've got common birds around you it's worth making the most of every opportunity, ebven if it's just feral pigeons!

Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Russ

Nice to see the Whinchat develop like that!

Nothing wrong with developing your skills from photos. All practise is good practise! And good practice!

So Whinchat it is!!!!..I called the poor thing Stonechat....I learned all the names of American Birds in English,of course,when I lived in the USA..but now i moved back to Spain,and I am getting re-Aquainted with European species,and using mostly spanish and catalan bird names,so got a bit mixed up ...anyway.."taxicola ?rubetra?"..i wrote this from memory so maybe a huge typo could have been made!!!!..
The idea of working from video is pretty good,didnt think of it,even the TV sectrion of bird forum will give nice views..I wiil have fast internet conexion at home this week,so i can get lots of videos online..Great..
in the making of that sketch was used mostly ink,and ink washes,but I got a bit lost at one point an a cover of acrilyc had to be used,that make a strange and interesting reaction with the inks,and decomposed the Blacks and sepias that i was using into a spectrum of greens/bluishes...so i lost control of color in this piece,but the end result is ok,I like the feeling..oh well..is only ink!

A belated welcome to the best bit Mayo!

Great to see that you've come out from the shadows and posted a couple of super little works. I'm particularly taken by the tiny foot study on the pecker pic, it's a fab bit of detailed observation and beautifully rendered.

Keep them coming and don't worry about mis-labelling things, the drawings are instantly recognisable without notes!

Mike

Whinchat is Saxicola rubetra - bitxac rogenc in Catalan and tarabilla norteña in Castillian Spanish, but as Mike said, no need for correct labelling when the bird is so instantly recognisable from your drawing.

I like the feeling..oh well..is only ink!
Perfect attitude which will hold you in very good stead as you undertake the life-drawing aspect of bird potrayal. Lovely piece of work which owes much to your experimentation with media - exciting stuff!

Greetings...
Geeeez...time flies by!...Cold now,isn it?....I started this thread to introduce my work to this forum,and had the intentions of posting non stop for the rest of my life,producing tons of material,but....haha..I am too busy!..in any case, if not at the rate that I want ,I manage to do a few pieces of work,in this direction ,continuing my experimentation with avian artwork,...I have a few oils going,and will try to post some photos,soon.For now I have a couple more ink drawings,that I want to show You...Let me say that although I havent been posting,I keep visiting most threads in this section,and I am most impressed with All of Your Works..a pleasure to be able to share this little pieces with such nice people..
The first piece,is a little sketch of a Blue Tit,simple ..i wasnt to excited about this work,but now I look at it,and is nice..fresh..Second work is one of my favorite birds,the Green Woody..
I have very good sketch books,with all kind of fancy papers,..i am addicted to them,..yet ,im using a small pad,of Thin Fabriano paper,a bit buff in tone,not the best for multimedia,(although handles wet media quite well)but I cant stop going back to this paper...I think we should do a thread about paper and materials..Is there One already started?..feel free to comment on this one!
Best Regards to All

Attachments

• IMG_2635.JPG
    IMG_2635.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Im a bit late joining this converstation, but I absolutly love your work! You capture their (im sure theres a technical term for this but its eluding me at the moment) personalities so perfectly...they individual way each species holds itself, etc... :clap:

Hi again..Thanks for the kind comments..and thanks for keeping posting Your work,and all the wonderful threads alive..All very inspiring ..
I did some Oil painting fast works,a bit ago,that maybe worth to share,..this one I like...also a favorite bird,that I intend To Study in more detail,maybe this week(im preparing some large canvases and papers on board!!)..anyway..
In Catalan ,We call it "Capsigrany".This detail is probably 25x20 cm, Oil on board

Attachments

• IMG_2582.JPG
    IMG_2582.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 76
In Bristol we call them "Woodchats", as in Woodchat Shrike!

One of my favourite birds that I've seen, and this is my favourite of your works, for me, so far!

Beautiful!

Wonderful piece here! Not a species we get to see where I am. We have Northern Shrike and Loggerhead Shrike as our two shrike species. Good job on this fellow.

Hi,..Glad to see You coming back,guys,and glad You like this work..I never managed to see a Shrike when I lived in the USA,but this Year I saw many of these wonderful Birds,and Absolutely fell in Love..The Woodchat Shrike it is,El Alcaudon Comun en Español and the Capsigrany in Catalan...I like this Painting too..,It is very simple,and doesnt have a lot of work in it,few brush strokes,and all "alla prima",..When painting birds,I usually have trouble to let things be,often sacrificing freshness to try to get more detail..but in this case all is well depicted keeping a nice pictorial feeling.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back