• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Catbird? North central Vt. USA (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
United States
This bird was perched very high in a tree uncatbird like. Also the bill looks a little off.

Attachments

• IMG_6567.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 107
Birds out of context can always look weird / throw you / make you look a right pillock when you misidentify them, but I think that the bird in question is a Grey Catbird. Although the rufous vent doesn't really show in the photo, there is a suggestion, and what else is that colour and shape?

I don't believe I've ever heard of it in that context ;)

Annoying? Maybe because of their secretiveness. Because of this characteristic the few I've encountered in Nevada--where they're rare vagrants--have sometimes been amazingly hard to get decent views of.

You've spent the hot August morning looking for something, anything. You see some movement in the brush, try to pish it up, and up pops two or three screaming catbirds. Have that happen a few ties in a morning, and you'll understand "annoying."

To me, late July and early August are the "Catbird Doldrums."

You've spent the hot August morning looking for something, anything. You see some movement in the brush, try to pish it up, and up pops two or three screaming catbirds. Have that happen a few ties in a morning, and you'll understand "annoying."

To me, late July and early August are the "Catbird Doldrums."

hahaha !! I hear you. I saw one in my bird bath today , they are all over our raspberries - they really are beauty's though and ubiquitous.

Agreed

I hear you all! I remember when I was excited to see my first catbird awhile back, he hasn't left since. It was nice for a while while he sang to me as I stockpiled firewood, but like a CD I've heard all the tracks and It's getting a little redundant :-O, it's all good though ;)

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back