• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's 2013 List (1 Viewer)

Had a decent morning in Penclacwydd. Not too many species around but thanks to some of the birders in the British Steel hide (Kym and others) who were great with their advice regarding distinguishing characteristics I was able to add:

90. Scaup - lifer # 4o:D

Now I'm pretty certain I've seen these before but I've never felt confident enough to ID them on my own. I also found out that I've been pronouncing Scaup wrong all these years :-C. I'm determined to add Water Rail and Bittern to this years list. Spent a freezing hour and a half at Kenfig yesterday but no joy. The displaying Goldeneye and beginning to display GCG's made up for it though.

Also good to see the Bullies, Goldies, Greenfinches and Siskins returning to the garden as well:t:

Rich

Had a short session at Kenfig Pool and along the beach today. Overdid the walking as the ankle was really playing up by the end. Be warned that many of the paths were under water coming back from the river mouth. A female GCG was showing very well down to 20 feet in front of the hide. Added the following:

91. Skylark
92. Ringed Plover

Having to cancel our two weeks in Speyside at Easter due to family health issues. Touch wood, the mother in law is recovering very well from her bypass operation which is the most important thing:t:

Rich

Went West for a spin yesterday. Again, plenty of birds but only one to add to the list. Good numbers of Winter Thrushes still around in the fields above Trecastle.

93. Goosander (Talley Lakes)

Had cracking bacon butty from the greasey spoon on the A40 by the roundabout for Llangadog. Note to self. A bacon butty and a packet of Tic Tacs is not enough food before a major session during a six nations gameB :)

Rich

Had a cracking hour at Kidwely Quay this afternoon. Shame I forgot my coat as it was freezing. Had some great views of Blackwits, Redshanks, Mergansers, Teal, Kestrel etc. Thought I was able to add Knot to the year list but on checking my guide when I got home they were more likely to be Dunlin.

95. Eider
96. Great Northern Diver(ppv)

Rich

Last edited:
Froze my backside off walking around Newport Wetlands Centre this morning. Enjoyed the walk but had nothing new to add. Fortunately I bumped into a Cardiff birder in Penclacwydd on Saturday who give me directions to Goldcliff Ponds :t:.A word of warning for anyone thinking of parking in the small area before the hide the track is extremely rutted. After scraping the underside of my car ( admittedly quite low riding) we reversed back onto the main road. When we arrived we we were a little deflated to be told that there was nothing interesting showing. Anyway, we thought we'd take a look.

97. Avocet B :):hi:eek::D lifer #5 this year Never seen one before and there were 60 of the beauties there. A lifer for my father as well:t:
98. Bar Headed Goose - I realise this was highly non biodegradable but everyone seems to count them so its in.

Met a couple of very decent birders at Goldcliff. Hopefully you got some more excellent photos John:t: Also ate at The Farmers in Goldcliff itself. Cracking home cooked food at very reasonable prices - big portions too:eat:

Definitely a place we'll be returning to.

Rich

Another glorious but bloody freezing day in Wales. Had an enjoyable couple of hours at the Welsh Wildlife Centre in Cardigan. Had a chat with a couple of photographers in the Kingfisher hide - both decent sorts. The light to me was perfect and the Teal were right in front of the hide so hopefully some decent shots were had. The visitor centre was open and I can recommend the food there. Access around the reserve is mostly excellent.

Moving on from Cardigan we eventually found Mwnt. This place does not exist according to the Sat Nav:-O. Pleased we found it as its absolutely beautiful. We'll take the boys there when the weather warms up.

On getting out of the car we were immediately greeted by bird species number 99:

99 Wheatear (Mwnt)

And then down on the beach whilst watching a Grey Seal about 15 metres out I noticed:

100 Kittiwake - pretty certain about these as they were quite a distance away.

On the way back I stopped at Dryslwyn Bridge to have a quick look for Tree Sparrows but the light was very poor and there was snow in the air. I did manage to pick up the Snow Goose that had been reported on Carmarthenshire Birds. Apparently it's unringed but my view was not that great. It flew in with a couple of Greylags at half 5ish.

101. Snow Goose (another recyclable?)

Rich

Well it was a relatively balmy zero degrees around Usk Resevoir. Decided to park at Glasfynydd and complete a circular route of the Resevoir. c6.5 miles in total and enough to give my ankle a good workout.

Not too much in the way of birds but did have a glorious view of a Red Kite flying low over a snow covered remote Welsh hillside with the sun highlighting all of its colours. Watching Kites in this way has to be my favourite sight in all of my birding experiences.

One more to add to the list:

102. Lesser Redpoll

The ankle stood up not as well as hoped but it was worth it for the view of the kites. Although relatively quiet bird wise I'll give the walk a few more goes as its full of habitat ideal for some Welsh specialities.

Rich

104. Lesser Scaup lifer #6B :)

At Bryn Bach Park with the children today. Showing within a few feet of the bank in front of the visitor centre. Thanks to Jeff and Margaret for assistance and hope you have a great trip to Mull in June.

Rich

First Swallow was yesterday and the saw heaps today at Penclacwydd. Missed out on the Spoonbill again!!!!

106. Sand Martin (Penclacwydd)

Had a quick hour on my own at Penclawydd today.

107. Blackcap (a handsome male)
108. Willow Warbler

On the return home I pulled in by Loughor Bridge to check out the terns as reported on Glamorgan Birds

109. Arctic Tern

The next one I saw yesterday whilst on the beach at Three Cliffs Bay with the family. I've been doubting myself as I've not seen one before but I know they've been seen around the area. The light was also very good and I had a good view of the black head as opposed to chocolate brown. The bird was flying up the valley away from the beach.

110. Mediterranean Gull - lifer #7B :)B :)

Heaps of dog owners on the beach all enjoying the great weather. I don't think I've seen so many Labradors in one place before. Every pilot in the area also appeared to be taking advantage of the weather as well given the number that flew over.

Rich

Decided to point the Zed North after work (should have gone East for those Stilts :-C that Jon picked up) to cover a couple areas I've picked up Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts in the past. BTW the wife no longer falls for the "I'm working late" excuse:-O

Heaps of Wheatears around along with a strange view of a Red Kite harassing a Buzzard. After a period the Buzzard dropped what it was carrying (light coloured and fluffy - couldn't see exactly what) and the Kite showed no interest in what it was carrying whatsoever. The sight really highlighted how more agile the Kite was compared to the Buzzard.

111. House Martin
112. Common Whitethroat
113. Common Redstart

No flycatchers around this time. Could have been they aren't there yet but far more likely was I was enjoying the drive too much;)

Rich

Had a decent day in Carmarthenshire with the family today. Met fellow BF member WHIMBREL. Nice to have met you Bill and congrats on those Stilts yesterday. :t:Hope you got some good shots. Dinas was full of birds but unfortunately in the short space time we were there we couldn't latch onto a Wood Warbler. Had great views of Redstarts, Flycatchers, Marsh Tits and Dipper.

Also stopped off at Dryslwyn Bridge on the way home.

114. Pied Flycatcher
115. Marsh Tit
116. Tree Sparrow - not overly easy to get in Wales but Justin gave some good advice:t:

Rich

Went with the family to the park on Aberavon beach this morning. There were some very accommodating Sanderlings at the end nearest the works.

117. Sanderling

Rich

Had a cracking morning with my two year old around Kidwely Quay this morning along with a brief walk around Burryport harbour. Plenty of Whitethroat in the scrub along with Willow Warblers.

Pipits around the harbour which I presumed to be Rock Pipits.

118. Whimbrel - pretty certain of this given good view of markings on head

Went with the family to Dinefwr Park today and thought it was just going to be one of those days:-C

Green Woodpecker heard but not seen:-C
Wood Warbler heard but not seen:-C

Then it began to pick up. Great views of a Marsh Tit with a beak full of food. Then Blackcaps, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Redstarts and Mistle Thrush. Must admit I was quite enjoying it. Unfortunately my 6 year old then fell on the boardwalk so we sat for a few minutes whilst his hands stopped stinging. For anyone who has been to Dinefwr you'll know it was no accident we were in the boardwalk area. Whilst sat there up popped species number 119 and lifer number 8.

119. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - lifer #8 B :):t:

The boy then recovered very quickly as they always do and had a play in the park. All in all a decent day:t:

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back