• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guides for Kaeng Krachan / Pak Thale Jan 2019 (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hi all,

Apologies for repeating an oft-repeated question but since some of the existing guide recommendations are a few years old now, is anyone able to recommend a guide for three-four days in late January?

I will be coming from Pechaburi, close to Kaeng Krachan, so these two sites look like they make sense for a short birding break, but I'd be very open to other suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

I do not know any guides except the owner og the thaibirding homepage Nick Upton.
The ranger in the nationalpark make tours.
I do know when the do the tours.
On one tour I took part. Costs was 600 Bath. The ranger has very good knowledge of location and quite good knowledge of birds.
I want to do guided tour next day, but is was not possible.

The way to 2nd camp was closed in November. Also hiking on the road in this direction was not allowed.

I did birdwatching in the morning at the camping area.
One ranger recommend me, do not look at camping place, go over the river and follow this way.
Next day I told him which way I went.
One day later I want to go the same way, but another ranger took me out and told the way which recommend the first ranger, is not allowed to go.
I went out immediately, no idea whether I will come back to Kaeng Krachen. I think rather not.
Because Kaeng Krachan is the biggest hightligh for birding, one reason for Thailand is disappeared.

I guess you weren't allowed to walk out as there are elephants around.
The whole idea of tourism in Kaeng Krachan is to camp or take a car to viewpoints.

Walking birders are probably not allowed, the way to get around this is coming by car and making regular stops on the way. I didn't have any problems walking out of Ban Krang camp towards the three rivers area and back.

Elephants pose a real danger, so keep your eyes open all the time, and the last casualty I heard of, the lady that got killed walked towards the elephants which is not the way to go.

I guess you weren't allowed to walk out as there are elephants around.
The whole idea of tourism in Kaeng Krachan is to camp or take a car to viewpoints.

Walking birders are probably not allowed, the way to get around this is coming by car and making regular stops on the way. I didn't have any problems walking out of Ban Krang camp towards the three rivers area and back.

Elephants pose a real danger, so keep your eyes open all the time, and the last casualty I heard of, the lady that got killed walked towards the elephants which is not the way to go.

Last year in March walking around was no problem.
This and last year I saw much less Elephant shit, than in Nam Nao.
In Nam Nao i saw also Elephants. But walking round was no problem at daytime.

Had the pleasure of being with Mr Biak - also from Baan Maca which is a great place to stay. His English was better than my Thai but that is not saying a great deal. Great fellow to spend that time with which was essentially 6am to 6pm in his 4wd pick-up. This was 2013 however and per the Maan Maca website his charge is now $85 rather than the $65 I was charged. A total bargain. I would also check with Games for what I understand is greater fluency. My issue being not knowing the local bird species/families that well and trying to decipher heavily accented English naming same.
Just back at this forum as we are titilating ourselves with the notion of returning next January :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back