• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID Help Please - Riverfront Park, Downtown, Spokane, WA, USA (1 Viewer)

mselle

United States
Hi, I'm looking for help identifying this gull a friend of mine saw in Riverfront Park in downtown Spokane, Washington, USA yesterday. We're at a loss to specify it but have considered Iceland, Glaucous, Glaucous-winged, and Herring. All of these are rarities in Spokane. Glaucous and Glaucous-winged are super rare, and Iceland is much rarer than Herring. My friend says it was noticeably larger than Ring-billed Gulls close by. Specifically, he said it had about 4-6 inches more wingspan and about 4 inches more body length than Ring-billed Gulls. Would appreciate some help. Thank you!

Attachments

• Andrew's RFP Gull 2.jpg
    Andrew's RFP Gull 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Andrew's RFP Gull U.jpg
    Andrew's RFP Gull U.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Andrew's RFP Gull U2.jpg
    Andrew's RFP Gull U2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 37
Obviously not herring gull. Bill-colour wrong for glaucous gull. Why not glaucous-winged gull?
I agree. I didn't think Herring or Glaucous. I thought Iceland or Glaucous-winged. As to "why not?", I guess it's just the rarity. Iceland would be only the fourth county record, and Glaucous-winged has only super old historical records. My friend and I are relatively new birders, and we just want to get help before posting it. Did you rule out Iceland?

There are eBird records of glaucous-winged gull near Spokane. I would take the bill to be too big for Iceland gull. I don't know anything about gulls.

Hi, I'm looking for help identifying this gull a friend of mine saw in Riverfront Park in downtown Spokane, Washington, USA yesterday. We're at a loss to specify it but have considered Iceland, Glaucous, Glaucous-winged, and Herring. All of these are rarities in Spokane. Glaucous and Glaucous-winged are super rare, and Iceland is much rarer than Herring. My friend says it was noticeably larger than Ring-billed Gulls close by. Specifically, he said it had about 4-6 inches more wingspan and about 4 inches more body length than Ring-billed Gulls. Would appreciate some help. Thank you!
Butty wondered "why not Glaucous-winged Gull?" So, I've researched more and am agreeing and thinking first-winter Glaucous-winged Gull. Can anyone else help confirm or deny? Thanks!

There are eBird records of glaucous-winged gull near Spokane. I would take the bill to be too big for Iceland gull. I don't know anything about gulls.
I got one historical record from 1974 in Spokane County. So, Precedented, yes! Super rare, and an amazing find if this is indeed a Glaucous-winged Gull. Are you calling it? Definitely Glaucous-winged?

I saw 2 birds that seamed identical to each other. one flew by while the other took a few laps around so if they are indeed Glaucous-Winged Gulls, there were 2! Thank you everyone for your help!

Could they be Hybrids of Glaucous-winged X Western Gull hybrid? It's not too infrequent for them to hybridize so might it be that but i doubt that they'd come this far inland with both of them hugging the cost for the most part.
On the other hand, I did some research with my cousin and we could only come to the conclusion of of Glaucous-winged, and with a little more of a stretch possibly an Iceland Gull.

Hi,

indeed this is a 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gull. Spokane is not all too far from Pudget Sound which hosts large numbers of them, but usually they are staying at the coast. This said, it is impossible to reliably exclude an 'Olympic Gull', which would be a hybrid with Western Gull; these hybrids are fertile, so can produce offspring with one of the parent species or with another hybrid. Thus, some birds look almost like one of their parent species (in this case Glaucous-winged Gull) but on closer inspection show slight traits of the other sp. too.

Hi,

indeed this is a 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gull. Spokane is not all too far from Pudget Sound which hosts large numbers of them, but usually they are staying at the coast. This said, it is impossible to reliably exclude an 'Olympic Gull', which would be a hybrid with Western Gull; these hybrids are fertile, so can produce offspring with one of the parent species or with another hybrid. Thus, some birds look almost like one of their parent species (in this case Glaucous-winged Gull) but on closer inspection show slight traits of the other sp. too.
Thank you for be able to confirm the ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back