• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID North Yorkshire UK (1 Viewer)

Perhaps it would be helpful to hear how others also concluded this was a Herring Gull? I grew up surrounded by mainly Herring Gulls - I was always amazed by the variation - even after 30 years of looking at them, I would still be caught out sometimes!

I agree they constantly surprise you! When picking out YLG in a UK context I like to see them in all aspects: in flight from above and below, on the water, standing etc and hopefully in direct comparison with similar species (HG & LBBG). Obviously we don't have all of that here.

The lack of an obvious ear-covert smudge, the smaller bill, and apparent lack of any wing covert moult all seem to fit HeGu better, but I admit confidence is only 90% for me without seeing the full picture. Of course, Lou's agreement here on HeGu counts for a lot too!

Tail bands and primary windows can appear more/less obvious depending on light, angle and camera settings-hence my caution here.

Last edited:
I am towards a Caspian Gull. Dark eye?? Gonys angle on bill not really pronounced. It shows the grey-brown boa on lower hindneck. The only thing I am in doubt with is the underwing, but as SteveClifton said gulls are often anything but typical.

some ID points: strongest feature is the large pale window (inner primaries), pale parts extending well onto outer webs to p1-5. to this extent, it is hardly seen in any other european taxon, rarely in caspian. it is not a caspian gull since it is stongly marked on underparts, on uppertail coverts and has a contrasting pattern on inner greater coverts. bill would be on the short side for a female casp as well.

some ID points: strongest feature is the large pale window (inner primaries), pale parts extending well onto outer webs to p1-5. to this extent ...

Thanks Lou - that was what for me was the clincher cf to YLG but am no where near your level of competence with gulls (which is why I rarely comment on gull ID threads) so good to hear this from you.

Dutchbirder - I think everyone after seeing thousands of gulls would conclude there is often no โ€˜typical!

Thanks Lou - that was what for me was the clincher cf to YLG but am no where near your level of competence with gulls (which is why I rarely comment on gull ID threads) so good to hear this from you.

Every day's a school day! And this is why Lou deserves his annual bonus each year ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back