• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (5 Viewers)

Day 24 - Redpoll sightings 16 days

Wouldn't mind seeing a crossbill in my garden but a fat chance of that eh? Redpoll sighted this morning after a good few days absence...came in with a couple of siskin. I been hoping the woodie would have shown this morning but no such joy.

Thought they would start that a little bit later in the year. I was talking to a contractor up at St James' and he said they were cutting somewhere up that way in the near future.

Had a few more crossbill over the house this morning. I've been seeing crossbill in work almost daily for the last two weeks so there must be loads in gwent somewhere. There were 90 seen over slimbridge this morning. one of the flocks in work was well over 20.

Had a few more crossbill over the house this morning. I've been seeing crossbill in work almost daily for the last two weeks so there must be loads in gwent somewhere. There were 90 seen over slimbridge this morning. one of the flocks in work was well over 20.

They are probably in Uncle Steve's garden if he is away then Luke....you need to get down there and record one !!

;)

Silent Valley

Breeding success in the form of juveniles seen today were.Chaffinch,Bullfinch,Linnet,Buzzard,Raven,Green Woodpecker,Goldfinch,Dunnock,Robin,Redstart,Stonechat,,Swallow,Carrion Crow,Wren,Meadow Pipit and three Fox cubs playing in the rocks.
Could someone (Bill/Luke) also ID the Butterfly for me.I am thinking Common Blue but could be wrong. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 47
went back to the Newport Wetlands this morning to try to see the bearded tits again and saw plenty. at least a dozen seen plus a few others heard.

Attachments

• beardedtit1.jpg
    beardedtit1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 83
Thats a cracking Beardie image Luke!

Just got back from North Wales after a weeks holiday.Didnt do much in the way of birding but did see my first Egret.I am assuming it was a Great White as it was a little smaller than a Heron?Also got my first sighting of a Chough as a pair flew over me whilst walking on The Great Orme near Llandudno.

Probably Little Egret Mike, a great white would be the same size as a grey heron. Also GWE would be very rare in that part of the world, but they've probaby had a few in the past though, so not impossible.

got round to doing some birding in gwent this evening, just popped up to the Beaufort ponds but there wasn't much there except for two Swift which were a real suprise, havn't seen one for a while. Then went over to the ASDA pond where there were plenty of gulls but nothing of interest and also the same two swift ended up feeding over the pond ten minutes after they were at Beaufort.

Bird fair was superb!! as for notable contacts... well there was a few but i better not brag.

Went down to the wetlands this morning, had great views of the Wood Sandpiper along with a garganey, a greenshank and a few Green Sandpiper. Also plenty of Yellow Wags and a few tree pipit aswell.

Went over to Peterstone after that and saw a Spotted Redshank and a few more Greenshank plus a great range of butterflies. Peacock, Painted Lady, Small Tort, Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Small Copper, Large White, Green Veined White, Meadow Brown, Gate Keeper, and by far the highlight..... a Wall Brown!

forgot to mention that there was a bit of migration going on this morning with a wheatear at Peterstone and loads of swallows. Also Willows and chiffs with some blackcaps at NWR. The ringers were also catching plenty of Sedge Warblers at the reedbeds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back