• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 10x40 WGA Objective Covers (1 Viewer)

I bought a pair of Habicht 10x40 W recently, and have had no problem finding a some rubber tethered objective lens caps (designed for 42mm roofs) that fit them perfectly well for less than a $10 investment. The WGA might require something a bit wider given the rubber armor, but also worth considering if you need them on the WGA given that the lens are fairly well recessed.

I'm really enjoying the Habichts. I have a pair of Zeiss 10x42 SF and functionally I don't think the Habichts exceed them in any department except the lower weight. But the Habichts are still very nice to look through, and there's just something about the styling and feeling like you're carrying a piece of optical history that has it's own enjoyment. Also, I'm less concerned that I look like I'm carrying around a very expensive piece of equipment when I have them - only those who know what they're looking at will know what they're looking at.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as the Op as my new pair of Habicht 7X42GA's arrived at the Weekend and although they are a delight to use I have the following three issues with the as-supplied user package that has left me frustrated and disappointed given their primary intended use. In order of importance they are:-

a. There are no matching (khaki/green) objective covers supplied. Indeed there are NO objective covers supplied! The deployment of objective covers is critically important to me as I use them as part of my duties as a Wildlife Ranger and have found if I don’t protect the objective lenses they get damaged when crossing fence lines by barbed wire and when used as an improvised rifle rest for prone shots. The chance of a stone being present within the vegetation being an ever-present risk.

b. The matching rainguard for the ocular lenses is too small for my interpapillary setting which is ‘average’ as district from excessively wide. To facilitate replacing the guard I must close the binoculars slightly to allow the guard to fit as it is not wide enough. Not only does this slow down acquisition of a sighting but it is sure to result in premature loosening of the centre hinge. Surely the width of this item should be suitable for the widest interpapillary setting? It’s not as if the guard would rattle or fall off when used over a narrower setting.

c. The supply of a matching khaki/green carrying strap would be much more in keeping with the aesthetic of this model as the black one supplied looks incongruous. So much so I have commenced making one in all leather and to match the colour as best I can. Proof below!

GA.jpg
LGM

If you contact Swarovski directly they do have objective lens covers for the Habicht's. At least that's what they informed me for the 10x40 wga which also are supplied without, (Part number 88-292C) .
It may well be that the 7x42 require a different size but would be worth dropping them a line as I'm sure they'll come back swiftly.

I finally received the objective covers for the Swarovski Habicht 10x40 GA, and they are very nice. The green color matches the binocular perfectly, and they are a perfect fit. At first, I thought they were too big but the tethered part that wraps around your objective to hold them on actually receives the eye cups and secures them. Very unusual but it works very well and solves the problem of getting objective covers to fit over a rather unsymmetrical objective. Here are some pictures of them installed. Notice the lip on the tether that goes around your objective which holds the objective cap on. Very nice!

Attachments​

• PC120001.JPG
    PC120001.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PC120002.JPG
    PC120002.JPG
    787.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PC120003.JPG
    PC120003.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 4
  • PC120004.JPG
    PC120004.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 4

I finally received the objective covers for the Swarovski Habicht 10x40 GA, and they are very nice. The green color matches the binocular perfectly, and they are a perfect fit. At first, I thought they were too big but the tethered part that wraps around your objective to hold them on actually receives the eye cups and secures them. Very unusual but it works very well and solves the problem of getting objective covers to fit over a rather unsymmetrical objective. Here are some pictures of them installed. Notice the lip on the tether that goes around your objective which holds the objective cap on. Very nice!

Attachments​

• PC120001.JPG
    PC120001.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PC120002.JPG
    PC120002.JPG
    787.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PC120003.JPG
    PC120003.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 4
  • PC120004.JPG
    PC120004.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 4
Very nice Dennis. Actually a better fit than I was expecting. Still baffling that they don’t include them along with the binoculars when purchased.

This from Swarovski which may help explain their position:

1. You are right, there are no lens covers foreseen for standard Habicht models, as objective lenses are built in deep inside, there is no risk of damage or pollution. We however still have some old stock.
2. We know that there a few persons with wider eye pupil distance. The ocular cover is made for standard width and moreover, the bino should fit into the FB case easily.
3. Old version models were supplied with green strap, which was standardised with black leather strap for both green and black Habicht.

LGM

This from Swarovski which may help explain their position:

1. You are right, there are no lens covers foreseen for standard Habicht models, as objective lenses are built in deep inside, there is no risk of damage or pollution. We however still have some old stock.
2. We know that there a few persons with wider eye pupil distance. The ocular cover is made for standard width and moreover, the bino should fit into the FB case easily.
3. Old version models were supplied with green strap, which was standardised with black leather strap for both green and black Habicht.

LGM
Interesting! Good information! I don't know about the no risk of pollution though.

That is beautiful, Loud Green Man! Did you hand stitch it?
Yes.

I didn’t count the number of stitches but as I used a suitable length of thread to ensure the neck padding is without break it took roughly 30 seconds for each pass due to the time needed to ‘manage’ the impressive pair of coils that for most of the task lay on the floor!

As a point of interest I would question if the material Swarovski use for the standard strap is leather as they claim as it certainly did not yeald to my cutting knife like any animal hide I’ve encountered to date.

LGM

Yes.

I didn’t count the number of stitches but as I used a suitable length of thread to ensure the neck padding is without break it took roughly 30 seconds for each pass due to the time needed to ‘manage’ the impressive pair of coils that for most of the task lay on the floor!

As a point of interest I would question if the material Swarovski use for the standard strap is leather as they claim as it certainly did not yeald to my cutting knife like any animal hide I’ve encountered to date.

LGM
Maybe it is from those tough Austrian high-altitude mountain cattle.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back