• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hands on with new Mavens (1 Viewer)

My theory for the cause of blackouts isn't eye placement, but rather too much eye relief. I, too, have turned to field optics eye shields for my binoculars with blackout issues and I have found them to be helpful both in blocking lateral stray light and also for increasing the ocular distance. Not a perfect solution, but helpful. Interestingly, I have no blackout issues with the Maven 9 x 45 B2.

I found the eye shields to be helpful not with blackouts but with glare from off-axis light sources making the glass hard to use.

That is, if I had the eye relief right, and repeatable, the best placement was against the upper wall of my eye sockets. By feel I could tell when I had the eye relief give-or-take right. There were two issues with this placement, though, one being that it frequently left a gap between the lower half of the ocular and my cheek, through which light could stream in, and getting the ocular centered over my pupil was a challenge, ultimately solved with the binoc-locs Vortex sells.

The whole thing was a learning experience, but Steve pointed out that it was worth looking at adding length to the eyecup. The length was a little helpful, but for me, making the eyecup larger in diameter was much moreso. It let me center the ocular over my pupil, let me feel the ocular getting to the right place and helped with the light leak below the ocular.

The wings really, really helped with the light leak once I tried them.

I use the Field Optics shields as well. However it seems differently from you. Mine are placed with the ring below the eye cup with the shield extending above. With an O-ring below the shield, the space is full and snug and stays at the correct placement. I keep the wings folded downwards, extending only when necessary, some times both sides are up sometimes only one side or the other depending on direction of side light.

Well, I love the loaners after all, on the grounds that the best glass you have is the one that you use.

During my lunch break yesterday I stopped by a restored marshland near work - also near the Oakland Coliseum, so not a pristine habitat. There is both salt and freshwater marsh and this time of year we have lots of interesting shorebirds as well as crows and the odd turkey vulture.

I saw a group of mostly seagulls, and a more solitary bird which at first I thought was a TV. Something prompted me to take a better look, and this TV had a white tail and a white head.

I confirmed the bald eagle with another birder in the parking lot after watching it for a few minutes, increasingly amazed I was seeing it where I was.

I have the eye shields and use them in exactly the same way as birdrousta - to make the eyecups wider. They are the only thing that removes the edge blackout I get on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. The light isolation is a nice bonus too. I think sans the blackout issue I would use them as Steve describes though as they are prone to fall off when they are directly on the eyepiece.

I have the eye shields and use them in exactly the same way as birdrousta - to make the eyecups wider. They are the only thing that removes the edge blackout I get on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. The light isolation is a nice bonus too. I think sans the blackout issue I would use them as Steve describes though as they are prone to fall off when they are directly on the eyepiece.

Remember the Maven eye cup assemblies, all three B1,2,& 3 screw off. One can use an O-ring under the threads to extend the eye cup distance. A lot of times one does not need a lot of extension, just some.

Remember the Maven eye cup assemblies, all three B1,2,& 3 screw off. One can use an O-ring under the threads to extend the eye cup distance. A lot of times one does not need a lot of extension, just some.

O wow, I never thought of that. I wonder if I can do the same thing with the Zeiss. A very small amount would be all I would need and those cups screw off also. I will have to check that!

O wow, I never thought of that. I wonder if I can do the same thing with the Zeiss. A very small amount would be all I would need and those cups screw off also. I will have to check that!

Pete:

Zeiss has another set of eyecups for the Conquest HD, to help with eye
relief for those that need a little bit of change. Give them a phone call
and they will send you a pair.

If you have time to search the Zeiss threads, it has been discussed on
there.

I hope this helps.

Jerry

You can do that with the Zeiss. However I'd take Jerry's advice first.

Thanks guys, I do already have the extended eyecups for the zeiss but they are still not quite enough for me. I am going to hunt around for properly sized o-rings tomorrow though. This is potentially great news for me as the eye shields don't stay very well where I have had to keep them on the zeiss eyecups.

So, I received the B2s this week, and will get my own 3s back early next week.

Both will apparently come with a less-force-required focuser, which I appreciate, and I hope also with a more-force-required IPD adjustment. I like the B2s rather stiff bridge.

The B2s are, as many owners have said, very fine glass. On more than one occasion I've been watching an animal in flight, still looking for coarser fieldmarks, then taken the binos down, put my glasses back on to try to point it out to my partner before giving her the glass - and found that the sky is empty.

Not that an animal I was looking at plumage color on three seconds ago is hard to see, but that unaided, neither of us can see it against the sky any longer.

That's very impressive performance, for me.

Yesterday morning I happened to run into some folks birding as part of an Audubon group. They indicated that one of the two habitats we were near was hard to see in due to sun glare. I took a look at both and did not have any issues with glare in the area that is observed at that hour by looking more-or-less sunward. Water strongly lit by sun was bright, but I was not troubled by glare or internal reflections.

I see but am not hypersensitive to CA. Given the photos of CA in the B1 I was curious about CA in the B2 in normal use. In normal daylight, with cloudy skies and looking across cityscapes with power lines, etc., I do not see color fringing or other indications of CA at all. In the same situations, I've seen a great deal of CA in Vanguard 10x40 ED and some CA in Nikon M7 8x42.

Tuesday night we had decent but not great viewing conditions for the moon. I had a look, both freehanding and with the binos on a tripod. The image was very good - I expect a telescope in the same condition would have been frustrating as the air wasn't great - with lots of fine details visible on the terminator. I also saw CA for the first time in these, and it was not too surprising - I could trigger it by rolling through focus; the out of focus image, unsurprisingly, showed color fringing. So the CA was a useful fine focus indicator, as it went away largely or entirely at focus.

Again, I was impressed by how little stray light was visible at the ocular - no false exit pupils as I approached them - and while viewing. These are far and away the best binos in the house for suppressing stray light, even better than the Nikon 10x40 SEs.

Also, these are the first binos I've had where I'm aware enough of my astigmatism that I may wind up preferring eyeglasses. I don't think that's a knock on the binoculars. For a time now I've felt that the overall sharpness of vision in my left, more nearsighted, eye seems less than in my right, less nearsighted, eye and I've been surprised that somehow it's easier to bring images in a telescope to good focus with the left eye than with the right.

I'd thought it was a training issue, that I was in the habit of bringing my left eye in and had better posture for doing so.

With the B2s, I'm noticing that if my glasses are on, I focus and focus snaps, with generous depth of focus on either side, but the center of focus is very well defined. If my glasses are off, I can bring each eye to focus with room to spare - yet often, I find myself wanting to get that last bit of adjustment in.

The out of focus colors in the moon got me to thinking, as changes in head position seemed to have more of an impact without glasses than with.

I went and looked at my prescription. the more myopic left eye has a small astigmatism. The less myopic right eye has about a 2D astigmatism. My interpretation is that the B2s are showing a good enough image that I'm affected by the astigmatism more than by the loss of contrast from holding the glass away from my eye.

A similar effect is happening with the telescope: the left eye shows me more than the right, despite it feeling less acute most of the time when not pressed up against an eyepiece. In particular, in the telescope I'm far more likely to get vignetting with the right than with the left eye. (and this is regardless of eyepiece, of which I have a number of fairly good ones.)

I also looked at focus wheel dynamics a bit.

I marked the focus wheel with tape so I could see how many turns I actually have, and how many I actually use.

It looks to me as if I have just more than 1.25 turns of focus total, and that with or without eyeglasses, less than a
quarter of that is available for distances I'd use binoculars for.

Let me expand a little on that: if I can spit on it, it's not something I'm likely to use a binocular on much. There's
a little more than a turn and a quarter on the B2, and infinity is reached at around 1 and 1 1/8 turn (with and without
glasses.) Close focus starts with my shoelaces, and on my pair at 3/4 of a turn I'm still inside the dining room with my glasses off, and I'm in the kitchen with my glasses on. The range from around 60 feet to the moon, then, is compressed into less than a quarter turn, since I'm still not at 60 feet in the kitchen.

Some of the compression may be down to the changed overfocus, although my corrected vision focuser spin to infinity seems pretty close to what Steve's longer review showed.

I realize that this weighting of precision focus in the near field isn't unique to the maven products. The Swarovski EL and the Nikon Monarch show very similar behavior, and the Nikon SE 10x42 does as well.

I also realize that the design of the Maven gives the glass a very good depth of focus - the radius of what's in good focus is much longer in these than in the Monarchs, for example.

But what I like about Maven is that I can describe the focuser position at around 60 feet and infinity for one of the principals, and he is looking into whether that, too, might be modifiable.

What I've told them is that I'd be happy as a clam if they came back and said "yes, we can do that, but you won't be able to focus closer than 20 feet."

Never have seen an S2 but the Maven is sure better than the Razor scopes. In my estimation it will push a Kowa 884 pretty hard.

Given that, as of now, there's the eyepiece that Maven selected for their scope, or a range of eyepiece choices for the Kowa, I think the pricing may be higher than will do well for them.

Have they said anything about compatibility with other brands of eyepieces?

At the same time, they're a pleasure to do business with.

After reviewing my description of the focusing on the B2, they've sent me a second pair and will be getting the originals back once I can get to the post office.

I haven't been able to use the new pair on astro targets yet, but this morning I had the chance to use them at the marsh, and the indetermination at longer ranges when not wearing my eyeglasses is gone. It's very obvious on both sides when optimal focus is reached.

They also got my B3s back to me this week, and the folks who did the work have done the work knowing the Butler Creek covers will be on (I left them on the bins when I sent them in) and seem to have done a bang-up job fixing the rubber covers on the objectives so the covers can be slipped on and off if I like, without pulling the covers off and without loosening the caps.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

The specs make the Maven scope look even more like a reboot of the Bunton ICON. Besides looking more or less identical they share the same eye relief, same FOV and even a variable speed focuser, which I've never seen on any other scope. The main difference seems to be that the 25-50x zoom eyepiece is apparently permanently attached to the Maven body. Maybe if you do a review you could pass along your review unit to me and I'll compare it to the ICON.

Henry

Hi Steve,

The specs make the Maven scope look even more like a reboot of the Bunton ICON. Besides looking more or less identical they share the same eye relief, same FOV and even a variable speed focuser, which I've never seen on any other scope. The main difference seems to be that the 25-50x zoom eyepiece is apparently permanently attached to the Maven body. Maybe if you do a review you could pass along your review unit to me and I'll compare it to the ICON.

Henry

That would probably be a good idea. The idea that Maven optics are simply a reboot of Brunton optics needs to DIE.

I agree they share the same body. That they share the same eye relief is IMO likely coincidental. What you see is a Kamakura design. One of Brunton's BIG problems was overpricing of under spec optics. Brunton, for example insisted on Aluminium prism mirror coatings because they were more durable. Brunton also insisted on the variable rate focuser which was a feature Kamakura apparently disliked immensely. If it worked (which it mostly did) it was a wonder. When it did not it was a nightmare. I have had numerous conversations with Maven about the idea of the variable rate focuser. Mostly they said they did not think they would ever get Kamakura to resurrect the idea. I find it interesting it is a feature of the scope. The Brunton binoculars I have personally handled all had an apparently solid focuser.

There were lots of other things Kamakura advised Brunton to do differently but to no avail. Brunton held the contract with Kamakura and they got what they wanted. The only way that we would see a different body style is for Maven, or whoever else does business with Kamakura, is to pony up for a new body design. That would get them at least a large chunk of exclusivity and would cost more than most would would think. I was amazed at how much a new design from drawing board to finished product costs.

I would however be extremely interested in your comparison, so I will see what I can swing.

My impression of the Maven in my short exposure was wow this is pretty dang good. It made an initial first impression on a level I rarely find reason to change a lot. My personal determination of how good (or not) needs a review.

Brunton, for example insisted on Aluminium prism mirror coatings because they were more durable. Brunton also insisted on the variable rate focuser which was a feature Kamakura apparently disliked immensely. If it worked (which it mostly did) it was a wonder. When it did not it was a nightmare.

Steve - In my experience, aluminum prism mirror coatings are usually noticeably dimmer than their silver and dialectric cousins, sometimes by as much as 2 f-stops. With that as background, my v2 Brunton 10.5 x 43 binocular is as bright as any 10x glass I have used. Perhaps this is due to the excellence of the Kamakura optical lens coatings or the much touted but benefits never explained "SF Prism glass". As to aluminum prism coatings being more durable, I've never heard of prism coatings wearing out and therefore needing to be durable. Fortunately, my variable rate focuser on the Brunton is problem free and a delight to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back