• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Search of the Perfect Compact Binoculars for Active Woods Adventures (1 Viewer)

Hey everyone,

I'm new around here and really excited to join this knowledgeable community! I've spent some time digging through old posts and threads but couldn't quite find the specific info I'm looking for. You all seem like the go-to experts for all things binoculars, so I’m hopeful you can help me out.

I’m primarily a turkey hunter and love to keep things light and minimal when I'm out in the woods. My current pair, the Maven B1.2, has been great but they’re just too cumbersome for running and gunning. I’m on the lookout for a compact, lightweight pair of binoculars that won’t slow me down.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Maven B7 and the Swarovski Curio. I’m curious about the differences between these models, especially since they both use similar prisms. What really sets the Swaros apart from the Mavens in terms of performance and usability?

Also, I’ve looked at the Maven B3, but I’m not sure if they might still be too large for my needs. Any thoughts or experiences with these or any other models would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance for your insights and advice!
I'm curious about the Maven B7 as well but I find the price prohibitive. Their description says its's the same glass as their $525 B3 binoculars which are 30mm. In other words, you're getting less glass/aperture yet the compacts cost more.

I tried the zeiss VP pockets recently quickly at a store and the view was nice enough but I couldn't get along with the one-sided hinge (I have small/short hands). The curio's are nice optically and seriously feels like you have a a much larger instrument in your pockets but I wasn't crazy about the small eyecups in such an optically-good binocular. I tried the 8x20 ultravids when I tried the zeiss vp, the view was rather nice and soothing and warm but maybe too warm. I'm not sure how I would get along with them moving between more neutral binoculars to the warmer ones. Also the leica's in 25mm only come in 10x. They still might be worth it.

I'm curious which binoculars you get and particularly interested to hear in user reports about the B7. Part of me is tempted to demo them but I know I probably won't buy them considering I have to pay sales tax at the end and at that high price point I might as well get leicas.

Also I feel like I see lots of user reports that say maven binoculars tend to be excellent in center but fall off towards the edge -- I've seen this said across several models. So I'm wondering if it's more of the same with the B7 and if the 8x extra fov will go to "waste".

Last edited:
I'm starting to lean towards the Curios. More compact and the larger FOV seems to be the bet.
I'm a big supporter of the Curio and immediately became my favorite small binocular when it first arrived. Still very high on my list but the Ultravid 8x20 took over and remains to this day my single favorite binocular and the only one I have in multiples. Give one a try if you get the chance.
That said, the Curio is still going to be easier to bring into immediate focus and is a joy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back