• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hans Larsson - swedish Bird artist (more) (1 Viewer)

TorbenBack

YERGH ! :C
I had just finished writing the below text and wanted to send it off on the thread “Hans Larsson-swedish Bird artist” when this message popped up !

"This Thread is more than 485 days old, you can't reply to it."

This is why I will have to bring it to life again.

I don´t really know how I found this thread but it appeared as a reference to something else I was looking for, and I can see it seems to be “over and done with” since Oct 2009, but now I would like to bring it to life again, perhaps. ?

I had a run through of all the posts and it is interesting to read the different viewpoints and opinions on bird art, which in fact ought not come to a surprise. Why make it complicated - Tim said it: Vive la difference !

I know of Hans Larsson and his art and I must say am impressed. Is he influenced by LJ – yes I would certainly say so - and does it really matter ? Who isn´t and who doesn´t want to be able to draw & paint like him? Be honest out there! How boring it would be though if everyone would draw and paint like him. I am quite sure each and everyone will in the end find their own style.

The middle ground, the background or any surrounding elements more or less plays sort of a supportive role in a painting and here we are dealing with bird paintings. What I feel watching LJ paintings and sketches, which in a way I like over the finished oil paintings, is that in his work, be it a stone, a log, the sea or whatever which plays the supporting role, it unites with the bird(s) and becomes one. Hard to explain perhaps but to me, watching some of his paintings he can even make a huge rock come to life.

I agree with TW about the stunning seal painting by Bruce Pearson ( would have liked it to be bigger) and to me it has exactly that appeal described above, which brings it to life and I can put myself “inside” the seal but also “inside” the penguins where you can easily get the feeling of being hunted. Also the rough sea is magic !

If Hans Larsson is being influenced by LJ it would be interesting to hear your opinion on another Swedish artist which you probably have heard of. He even lives on the same island as LJ and even not that far away from him. Is his work LJ style or what? http://www.nevala.se/

Best wishes,
Torben

yes it is, and others too there were a couple in the 2009 Birds in Art show...even tho LJ was there, cant help but be influenced. Its sort of like a famous actor known by all and someone just happens to look a lot like them, you can never see them for their own self because they remind you so of the famous one. And art history is full of painters in the "style of " category....so if someone loves and buys it or even buys that because the famous one is out of their reach money wise....the art world has room. I find his line less sure than LJ, but he has a nice abstract sense of design.

I'm a huge fan of Hans' work, Torben. There's an undeniable link to the great man (LJ) but I do feel he expreses his own experiences in a unique manner. I'm also familiar with Nevala's work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back