• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Water Rail still present at Tices early this morning along with at least 4 singing Chiffchaff. Pair of Little Grebe engaged in courtship & 2 Little Ringed Plover on the workings.

John.

Today at Frensham:

1 House Martin (GP)
20 Swallow
60 Sand Martin
1 Dartford Warbler singing
2 Woodlark
10 Buzzard
1 Common Tern (GP)
4 Crossbill

Last edited:
Nice to see a report of a Dartford Warbler, I wondered if the whole Surrey population had been wiped out by the snow. I'll have to have a look on Ash Ranges if it ever stops raining.

I have just got back after spending a couple of hours on Ash Ranges conditions not very good, quite cold and windy but no sign of any Dartfords

Six Little Ringed Plover & 3 singing Chiffchaff at Tices this morning but no sign of any other migrants yet.

John.

Tices this afternoon, 3 Chiffchaff singing and saw one Little Ringed Plover before being blown off the bank.

Tongham GP, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Swallows and 6+ Sand Martins.

At Seale briefly saw a very pale buzzard, almost all white underneath but very distinct black carpal patches. Didn't get clear enough views to see any barring underneath. Probably a pale phase normal buzzard, but I have heard of a Honey Buzzard at Thursley today. Anyone else seen this pale beauty?

Allan

More migrants this morning at Tices Meadow, singing Wllow Warbler showing very well near the bank & a Green Sandpiper in the workings.

John.

Took a walk along the canal bank between Ash Wharf and Ash Vale train station this afternoon.

Saw a pair of Blackcap, 2 Great Crested Grebe and in the drainage channel at Ash Vale a pair of Grey Wagtail.

Allan

Very smart Yellow Wagtail present at Tices Meadow this evening with the Pied Wags, first at Tices this Spring.

John.

Last edited:
Tices Meadow this morning, Little Egret on the meadow, 4 Little Ringed Plover, Willow Warbler, singing Blackcap, 5 Chiffchaff.

John.

Very foggy at Tices this morning, Volanic Ash! , 3 Little Ringed Plover (2 Males 1 Female), 2 Blackcap, Willow Warbler, 3 Chiffchaff, 4 Skylark, 2 Grey Wagatail, & 4 Gadwall were all I could find in the murk!

John.

Found first Common Sand this spring at Tices this morning, also 5 Little Ringed Plover, 4 Sand Martin, 2 Willow Warbler, 2 Reed Bunting, Blackcap, & 4 Chiffchaff.

John.

Productive hour at Tices this evening - 2 Wheatear (a pair), 2 Common Sands, Common Tern, 4 LRP, Little Grebe, 4 Chiffchaff, Willow Warb, Blackcap, 7 Meadow Pipit, & my first Swallow this year.

John.

First Swifts this year - 4 over Tongham GP seen from Aldershot Park whilst at Football training with my son.

John.

Had a Yellowhammer in the garden today, and a Whitethroat on Tuesday.

First time for either of these as a garden tick

Allan

At Frensham today:

3+ Hobby over Little Pond
several Redstart
several Reed Warblers
but best of all, a fledgling Crossbill being fed by dad.

Then to Tice's Meadow, but only Common Sand and 5 Common Tern of interest.

Had a superb Red Kite over Tices this morning pursued by Crows over the Hogs Back towards Seale. Also got my first Whitethroats of the spring 2 in scrub / willows by the bank, also 6 LRP, 2 Common Sands, 2 Common Terns, Female Wheatear, Sand Martins, Swallows, 3 Chiffchaff, 5 Blackcap, & Willow Warbler.

John.

Another early morning visit produced a Tices first for me in the shape of a reeling Gropper showing well briefly near the bank. Also had 3 Lapwing (1 displaying male), 2 Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap before the rain set in & forced a return for brekkie.

John.

Hour down at Tices this evening produced more new birds this year for me in the shape of a Garden Warbler & a Hobby which caught an unfortunate Sand Martin. Also present Common Sand, 2 Wheatear, 4 LRP, 6 Common Tern, & 3 Lapwing.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back