• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW-BirdLife Version 6.0b (July 2022) (1 Viewer)

Looks like it's just common name changes?
There's no new species, but there's a fair amount of resequencing in the rails and parrots and pigeons. They finally changed "cachalote" to "cacholote" to match all of the other world lists, and there's only a few common names being changed.

Actually most of the "resequencing" was a result of Alopeoenas salamonis, Laterallus podarces, and Poicephalus fuscicollis having been put far away from their correct places in the previous version. And many of the name changes were the result of changing "Christmas" to "Christmas Island" and "Norfolk" to "Norfolk Island".

Last edited:
So pleased to see Island reappearing, I wish IOC would follow suit as they still have the patently ridiculous Chatham Gerygone and Norfolk Gerygone, which make me cringe each time I see them mentioned......Christmas Island also now links to a place and not a calendar holiday,
a minor but crucial difference

I wish they would resequence the Thraupidae. They start with the species in various tribes of Thraupinae (except Thraupini), then list the other subfamilies, and finish with Thraupinae not explicitly assigned to a tribe (which I assume corresponds to Thraupini).

It's been like this for years.

So pleased to see Island reappearing, I wish IOC would follow suit as they still have the patently ridiculous Chatham Gerygone and Norfolk Gerygone, which make me cringe each time I see them mentioned......Christmas Island also now links to a place and not a calendar holiday,
a minor but crucial difference

Agreed - at least to this extent. The problem with "policies" on island names is that some island names make good names for other things, others are very bad. I don't think anyone would seriously welcome renaming Barbados Island Bullfinch or a Maui Island Parrotbill. There are obvious differences between these and things like Christmas Island Shearwater or Inaccessible Island Rail. So why even have a policy if it takes island by island consideration to avoid confusion?

On paper, IOC's Island Names Principle is about as close to this as it can be while still being a policy - they state that "If a name includes an island or islands, the word island or islands will not be included except there the resulting name is misleading." But then, bafflingly, they use two examples which are entirely contrary to that principle - the (Brad?) Pitt (University?) Shag and the (Father?) Christmas (Day?) Frigatebird.

I modestly propose that if there must be a policy or principle to island names in ornithology, it should be thus: if one can type the name of the island (without the word "island") into an English-language search engine and the intended location appears on the first page, then the word "island" will not be included!

I suppose the same rule could apply to vessels for the Steamship Vega Gull or the Regia Marina Magenta Petrel.

What would it take BirdLife to summarize the changes briefly? Now you have to scan long lists to discern the differences.

There's a changes tab in the excel file, with 20 changes listed.

SIS_IDSpeciesPreviousChangeChange typeCorrection
22691056Alopecoenas salamonisAlopecoenas salamonisMoved to before A. stairi from previous incorrect position within GeopeliaSequenceYes
22728754Laterallus podarcesLaterallus podarcesMoved to after L. rogersiSequenceYes
103681276Elaenia brachypteraElaenia brachypteraCommon name corrected to Coopmans's ElaeniaCommon nameYes
22732670Poicephalus fuscicollisPoicephalus fuscicollisMoved to after P. robustusSequenceYes
22732670_1Poicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollisPoicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollisMoved to after P. robustusSequenceYes
22732670_2Poicephalus fuscicollis suahelicusPoicephalus fuscicollis suahelicusMoved to after P. robustusSequenceYes
22733216Pseudoseisura unirufaPseudoseisura unirufaCommon name corrected to CacholoteCommon nameYes
22733859Pseudoseisura cristataPseudoseisura cristataCommon name corrected to CacholoteCommon nameYes
22702740Pseudoseisura lophotesPseudoseisura lophotesCommon name corrected to CacholoteCommon nameYes
22702743Pseudoseisura gutturalisPseudoseisura gutturalisCommon name corrected to CacholoteCommon nameYes
22704070_4Nesoptilotis leucotis depauperataNesoptilotis leucotis depauperataTrailing space deletedTypoYes
naFregetta tropica tropicaFregetta grallaria tropicaScientific name correction: accidentally entered as F. grallaria tropicaTypoYes
naFregetta tropica melanoleucaFregetta grallaria melanoleucaScientific name correction: accidentally entered as F. grallaria melanoleucaTypoYes
22698459_1Fregetta tropica tropicaFregetta grallaria tropicaAddition of subspecies ID numberOmissionYes
22698459_2Fregetta tropica melanoleucaFregetta grallaria melanoleucaAddition of subspecies ID numberOmissionYes
22710511Aplonis fuscaAplonis fuscaCommon name changed to Tasman StarlingCommon nameNo
22704731Gerygone modestaGerygone modestaCommon name changed to Norfolk Island GerygoneCommon nameNo
22684834Nestor productusNestor productusCommon name changed to Norfolk Island KakaCommon nameNo
103734824Petroica multicolorPetroica multicolorCommon name changed to Norfolk Island RobinCommon nameNo
22714078Zosterops natalisZosterops natalisCommon name changed to Christmas Island White-eyeCommon nameNo
22691699Ducula whartoniDucula whartoniCommon name changed to Christmas Island Imperial-pigeonCommon nameNo
22697742Fregata andrewsiFregata andrewsiCommon name changed to Christmas Island BoobookCommon nameNo
22689452Ninox natalisNinox natalisCommon name changed to Christmas Island FrigatebirdCommon nameNo
22691312Ptilinopus alligatorPtilinopus alligatorCommon name changed to Black-banded Fruit-doveCommon nameNo
22684727Zanda baudiniiZanda baudiniiCommon name changed to Baudin’s Black-cockatooCommon nameNo
22684733Zanda latirostrisZanda latirostrisCommon name changed to Carnaby’s Black-cockatooCommon nameNo
155109013Microptilotis imitatrixMicroptilotis imitatrixCommon name changed to Cryptic HoneyeaterCommon nameNo
22680243Spatula rhynchotisSpatula rhynchotisCommon name changed to Australasian ShovelerCommon nameNo

To be clear on why this was done: 2022 is somewhat unique in its comprising of two IUCN Red List change updates. The update published (version 6b) here is made up almost solely of Red List changes and a handful of 'inconsequential' (from the Red List perspective) nomenclature changes we chose to ram through. The usual taxonomic update will be published, as usual in December of this year, and also be accompanied by Red List status changes and nomenclature changes (e.g. lots of hummingbird genus changes..!).

Cheers

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back