• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW-BirdLife Version 8.0 (December 2023) (1 Viewer)

Moorea Sandpiper Prosobonia ellisi is listed as described by (Gmelin 1789) but this is Sharpe 1906. And still surprised they regard it as valid.....

one change I noticed relevant to North American bird, and which might have implications for WGAC

Mountain, Guatamalan and Baja Pygmy-owls are once more lumped into Northern

Interestingly perhaps, I didn't see any other ABA relevant lumps, even though this checklist splits a lot of species not currently recognized by AOS. Whether that foretells there fate in the WGAC checklist or just that Birdlife moves a lot slower, I can't say.

Last edited:
’Tis the season to dechiffre whatever changes BLI has made. Why the heap of sheets, but nowhere an easy-to-read list of what’s new?

’Tis the season to dechiffre whatever changes BLI has made. Why the heap of sheets, but nowhere an easy-to-read list of what’s new?
There should be a sheet in there with the changes...that is how I found the owl one. I am about to head to work so I don't have time to search for it to give you the more specific file name however.

HBW-BirdLife Version 8.0 (December 2023) - current version, available to download there
Webpage includes this:
BirdLife and Cornell are currently working with others through the Working Group on Avian Checklists (WGAC), set up under the auspices of the International Ornithologists’ Union (IOU), to produce a unified checklist of the birds of the world. In future, we hope that the species displayed in Birds of the World (and used in eBird) will match those on the BirdLife Data Zone and the IUCN Red List. However, this process will take some time. BirdLife will continue to update its checklist on an annual basis, reflecting both the discovery of new species and, more frequently, changes to existing species limits based on the latest research. We will seek to do so in a way that aligns our taxonomy more closely with other checklists through the WGAC process, and will continue to provide full justification for the changes adopted, to ensure transparency.

Moorea Sandpiper Prosobonia ellisi is listed as described by (Gmelin 1789) but this is Sharpe 1906. And still surprised they regard it as valid.....

It is a valid species see Walters, 1991 and De Pietri, Worthy, Scofield et Wragg, 2020 and Vanesa L. De Pietri, Trevor Henry Worthy, Richard Paul Scofield, Theresa L. Cole, Jamie R. Wood, Kieren J. Mitchell, Alice Cibois, Justin J. F. J. Jansen, Alan J. Cooper, Shaohong Feng, Wanjun Chen, Alan J. D. Tennyson & Graham M. Wragg, 2020.

Attached references

Vanesa L. De Pietri, Trevor Henry Worthy, Richard Paul Scofield, Theresa L. Cole, Jamie R. Wood, Kieren J. Mitchell, Alice Cibois, Justin J. F. J. Jansen, Alan J. Cooper, Shaohong Feng, Wanjun Chen, Alan J. D. Tennyson & Graham M. Wragg, 2020
A New Extinct Species of Polynesian Sandpiper (Charadriiformes: Scolopacidae: Prosobonoa) from Henderson Island, Pitcairn Group and the Phylogenetic Relationships of Prosobonia
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society xx, 1-26

Michael Walters, 1991
Prosobonia ellisi, an Extinct Species of Sandpiper from Moorea, Society Islands
Bollettino di Museo Regionale di Scienze Naturali, Torino 9: 217-226

Enjoy,

Fred

Attachments

• xx-1–26.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 009-217-226.pdf
    921.7 KB · Views: 9
As it is still regarded at this moment as valid (so that leaves us with no other choice to consider this in 2020 and even today), we advocated afterwards (and published as such in 2021) that Moorea Sandpiper is invalid. For our reasons why it is not valid see the article.

As it is still regarded at this moment as valid (so that leaves us with no other choice to consider this in 2020 and even today), we advocated afterwards (and published as such in 2021) that Moorea Sandpiper is invalid. For our reasons why it is not valid see the article.
Dear Justin,

Thanks for your reply, this makes thingd more clear, but I didnot know the 2021 publication and of course I would like to read it. Can you give me the details of the publication or perhaps send me a pdf?

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back