• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (4 Viewers)

"Mixornis Woodi" continuation

Here's some more Wood work ;) ... (simply as I had a few hours to kill last night) ...

If correct here ...
Wood first arrived in China 1825 at the age of twenty-five.
Apparently it wasn't correct (that is, regarding his alleged age, in 1825).

A few Chinese whispers here :)

William Watkins Wood was born in Philadelphia on 18 April 1808 ...

[...]

Not sure how the name Wightman got attached to his legacy but there is no doubt that W.W. Wood the Orientalist, Naturalist and Collector was christened William Watkins Wood.

If he arrived in China in 1825 it was at the age of 17. So one of the reasons William was less of a marriage prospect to Harriett Low would have been his youth...
Let's hope "our guy" William W. [Watkins/Wightman] Wood wasn't as unreliable, as unwary with, or disrespectful to, the truth, as he clearly seems to have been concerning his age, that he didn't simply made up his "famous parents" from Philadelphia as well (though I don't think so) ... ;)

One thing that might add some last missing pieces (alt. could resolve some still linguering doubts, on his true full name) is that his alleged Father William B. [Burke] Wood (1779–1861) wrote a book by the Title; Personal recollections of the Stage : embracing notices of Actors, Authors, and Suditors, during a period of forty years (here, bottom left; "full view"), published in 1855.

In this book he himself mentioned; "Juliana Westray ... afterwards known as .. Mrs. Wood" (on p.70), "Miss Westray" again (on p.73), + a brief comment of their marriage (on p.101), and her Death (on p.402); "12th of November, 1836" [sic], contrary to the Death year of "1838", as we've seen in earlier links. One would think that even the most self-absorbed Actor/husband ought to remember the Death of his own Wife!. Or is this an unfortuate typo (alt. Printers error), but I don't think so. Note that the very next page (p.403) is the start of "Chapter XXI. 1836—1838."

If his alleged Son (presumably "our guy") was/is mentioned in this book, I do not know (though I've only scrolled/searched trough it, fairly quickly, I haven't read it in full, not page by page), but I don't think so. In this book W. B. Wood seems to have been focused merely on his Stage Life. However, there is s a short phrase (in "Chapter VII, 1811—1812", on p.166), where "Mrs. Wood begged leave to retire, urging the necessity of her presence in the nursery, from whence the voice of a young person was very distinctly heard" ... caused by "her infant", but that's a bit later than any assumed/suggested Birth years suggested this far for "our" Wood (either; 1800, 1804, 1805 or 1808 ...?), at that point it could be a/any/another kid screaming. But of course, even boy born in 1808, can certainly be "urging" and "heard", also a few years later?

I guess it depends on; at what point does one (in English) stop calling the room of a Child (or Children), a nursery? Alt./Or at what age do you stop calling a young Child an infant?

Paul, maybe you should/could check the Death of his Mother as well (simply to be sure it's truly her). Did she pass away in "1836" as told above, or in "1838", as claimed in earlier texts/links?

Either way; his alleged actress Mother is not to confuse with his equally ditto Grandmother (at some point, a Namesake, or very, very close to), mentioned here.

And that's just about all I can find on this Mr. Wood, and "his" Tit-Babbler subspecies.

Good luck finding/verifying the last pieces of this tricky puzzle.

Björn

PS. The only texts that I have found where a "William Watkins Wood" is mentioned with/in a Philippine context; was/is; here, on p.2, and here, p.124 (of course there can be other texts), if relevant (and if its him, of course)? Suddenly, if so, he's with a Partner, buying land (100 acres), on New Zealand, in early June 1842?!? This could, of course, be a different guy all together. Or not? Though note that this doesn't match the claims that "our" guy was establishing himself (as a photographer) in Manila "in the 1840s or even the 1830s". Maybe he was a silent (far away) partner in this purchase of land, who knows? The latter guy could of course, simply be a namesake, a Dead end (the wrong path all together).
--

Last edited:
The tiniest info on T. Georginae. In the 1847 PZS the bird is said to be in the collection of T. B.? I wracked my brain who T.B. was? And his connection to Georgina.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/46217#page/550/mode/1up .
A reprint of the article in the Revue Zoologique corrects this to the collection of J. B., James Brown. James Brown? No Jules Bourcier.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/19447#page/269/mode/1up .
Is there a Georgina Boucier? No idea.
If Tr. Carlo was named for Charles Lucien Bonaparte does he have a Georgina associated to him? Any Georginas in New Grenada Panama Columbia ?

A tiny tiny guess about Tr. Mariae named for Marie.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/159286#page/331/mode/1up .
This bird is from Venezuela. I’m thinking collected by Auguste Salle? I know Salle’s mother was Madame la Veuve Salle. (Catherine) Maybe she was a Mary- Kate ?
Chevrolat, L.A.A. (1835) Coléoptères du Mexique, Fascicle 4, [70 pp.], Novembre 1834/Janvier 1835; Fascicle 5, [50 pp.], Janvier 1835; Fascicle 6, [48 pp.], Juin 1835; Fascicle 8, [68 pp.], Septembre 1835. Strasbourg “The original spelling for this species (Chevrolat, 1835) was "catharinae"; however, in his description, Chevrolat (1835) stated: “Trouvé pour la première fois, par Mme Ve Sallé (Catherine)."
I cannot find Chevrolat 1835.
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k65779137.texteImage .
Westcott 2007 Zootaxa The description of a new species of Agrilus Curtis, with distributional records, and taxonomic and biological notes for Agrilinae and Trachyinae (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) of Mexico and Central America

Last edited:
I cannot find Chevrolat 1835.
Mark, isn't it simply this (compiled) volume, of 1834-1835?

For example; on p. 372, in the text for [Cicindela] "Catharinæ" we find: "... Mme Catherine Caillard, veuve Sallé, par .." (Septembre 1835).

If relevant, of any help/use?

/B
--

Last edited:
Regarding T. georginae & T. caroli I am not sure what the evidence that caroli was named after Charles Lucien Bonaparte is but there is a famous Georgina associated with Napolean Bonaparte that it may have amused Bourcier to named one of this pair of species after:

Marguerite-Josephine Weimer who was a famous lover of Napolean (who nicknamed her Georgina after her onstage character Mademosiele Georges).

Whilst it is clear Claude Marie Jules Bourcier was a Napoleanist, one must remember that in 1847 France was still ruled by the July Monarchy and to blatantly honour any Bonaparte may not have been the best political move.

Just a thought.

P

Last edited:
Regarding T. georginae & T. caroli I am not sure what the evidence that caroli was named after Charles Lucien Bonaparte is but there is a famous Georgina associated with Napolean Bonaparte that it may have amused Bourcier to named one of this pair of species after:

Marguerite-Josephine Weimer who was a famous lover of Napolean (who nicknamed her Georgina after her onstage character Mademosiele Georges).

Whilst it is clear Claude Marie Jules Bourcier was a Napoleanist, one must remember that in 1847 France was still ruled by the July Monarchy and to blatantly honour any Bonaparte may not have been the best political move.

Just a thought.

P
Paul, why "Napolean Bonaparte" and "Napoleanist", why not; Napoleon Bonaparte, and Napoleonist?

Typo/s, or my misinterpretation?

Either way, I have no idea/suggestion on the dedicatee behind georginae. From what I can tell (not much) it could be her, or not.

Maybe Martin has a better candidate, he's been dealing with Hummingbirds (and their Eponyms) for years and years.

/B

Thanks everyone. When I read the Tr. caroli and georgina article I wondered why he had not named these in the previous article? And in my mind Charles and Georgina seemed like a couple there was something linking them? Hunch. On Wikipedia it says about Georgina "She retired in 1853, and received a pension from Joseph Bonaparte, Napoleon's brother. She died in Passy " in 1867. So she was working in 1847. And of course Joseph was Charles's Father. Not proof but it makes sense.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the actress/courtesan Mlle. George as our georginae. She was, apparently, given a pension by Jerome Bonaparte (not Joseph Bonaparte who died 1844), and so her link with the Prince of Canino and an assortment of hummingbirds is tenuous.

Regarding T. georginae & T. caroli I am not sure what the evidence that caroli

@ Paul: As we are back to the Wilson Family (as the hummingbirds have been in their collections) maybe you have the answer to the birth date of William Savory Wilson discussed here?

At least a try to get that solved.;)

Martin Ive seen Wilson , William Thomas , son of William Savory Wilson , Esq . , New Haven , United States ; born 21st December , 1847 . Not what you are looking for.? Also: "Dr. Henry Spencer Spackman was a cousin of William Savory Wilson who owned the land on which St. Clément’s list Church was built. William’s mother was Rebecca Bellerby who married Edward Wilson in 1802. Elizabeth Anne Bellerby was her sister who married Samuel Spackman in 1804. " He had a daughter Mary Louisa Wilson who had a daughter Ada Louise Doty.

Last edited:
Martin Ive seen Wilson , William Thomas , son of William Savory Wilson , Esq . , New Haven , United States ; born 21st December , 1847 . Not what you are looking for.? Also: "Dr. Henry Spencer Spackman was a cousin of William Savory Wilson who owned the land on which St. Clément’s list Church was built. William’s mother was Rebecca Bellerby who married Edward Wilson in 1802. Elizabeth Anne Bellerby was her sister who married Samuel Spackman in 1804. " He had a daughter Mary Louisa Wilson who had a daughter Ada Louise Doty.

My question was more William Savory Wilson born 1803 or 1805 or...?

William Savery Wilson was born 9th May 1803 (see attached; source: Haverford College; Haverford, Pennsylvania; Record of Births, 1777-1872; Collection: Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Minutes)

The record was not easy to find as they were Quakers.

Not sure how the spelling got changed nor how some historians considered Edwards's first wife to be called Rebecca Bellerby but marriage records show she was Elisabeth Bellerby.

Note this same record shows that Edward had a son Charles to his second wife Sarah. Could this be the origin of the name T. caroli?

P

Attachments

• 40525_1821100519_2681-00080.jpg
    40525_1821100519_2681-00080.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Guys, I´m even more (all) confused, having a hard time to follow, in regards to what taxon/name (alt. taxa/names) you're actually dealing with right now.

Is it; georginae, caroli, aliciae, catharinae, addae or is it williami ...?

Bewildered.

/B

Guys, I´m even more (all) confused, having a hard time to follow, in regards to what taxon/name (alt. taxa/names) you're actually dealing with right now.

Is it; georginae, caroli, aliciae, catharinae, addae or is it williami ...?

Bewildered.

/B

Sorry think my fault as I did not explain how I came to Wilson family. OD of caroli and georginae have a link to the Wilson family (as in their collection) therefore I linked a still pending question about the birth of William Savery Wilson williami which was still an open question at least for me. Now this new document appeared and Edward Wilson is not mentioned in there. I think/thought it is a brother of William Savery Wilson and Thomas Bellerby Wilson but this document did not contain him as a brother.

Last edited:
Ok, fair enough Martin, so we're suddenly back at/with "T. [Trochilus] Williami" [today's Viridian Metaltail Metallura williami DeLATTRE & BOURCIER 1846], as earlier dealt with back in April, here (with link to the OD, in post #1), and the obscure William S. (Savory/Savery?) Wilson, though I'd be surprised if the Wilson Family Papers, kept at the University of Delawere Library (here), doesn't have his name right, i.e. "William Savory Wilson (d.1870)", ... but, who knows?

On top of what's been said in this thread (and earlier threads), also see here (hopefully of some use/help [?], and good luck following it, it's a lot to read, with twists and turns, in different/various Eras, with several similar names and namesakes intertwined) ;)

Keep digging & good luck pin-pointing him!

/B
--

Last edited:
Don't panic chaps. There is no great mystery here you just have to understand that 2/3 of everything written on the internet about early 19th C genealogy in America is complete fiction.

Edward Wilson (1772-1843)

Had 8 children to at least 2 wives.

First Wife Elizabeth Belleby (1802)

William Savery (1803-1870)
Mary (1804-)
Thomas Belleby (1807-1865)

The family changed Quaker meeting house for several years hence the new record (attached)

Edward (1808-1888)
Rathmel (1810-1890)
Josiah (1812-)

Second marriage to Sarah (m.1814)

Elizabeth (1817-)
Charles (1818-1884)

Cheers P

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: