• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (6 Viewers)

Sharpe woodi as in "Mixornis Woodi" 1877.
This is from a bird collected by Prof. J. B. Steere in the Philipines from 1874-75. A Norman Wood was hired by Michigan University as a taxidermist in 1895. Steere worked at Michigan and I thought perhaps Wood had worked with him in the Philipines ??

Here in context with him a Wood, W. W.. No idea if relevant or not. Probably him.

Last edited:
Mixornis woodi.
Mark and Martin, Well found. I am inclining towards "William Wightman Wood (fl. 1860) US journalist in China, naturalist, pioneer photographer in the Philippines." Comments anyone?

Mr Wood's Tit-Babbler ssp.

• the (Pin-/Striped) Tit-Babbler ssp. Mixornis/Macronous gularis woodi SHARPE 1877 (here), as "Mixornis Woodi"

As in this guy; here, here, here, here, here, and elsewhere ... ?

More than the above, if it truly was aimed at him, I cannot tell. I´d never heard of him prior to this post, but if it's him, I would think his true years should, ought to be possible to find, in connection to his alleged parents, the: "celebrated actors William B. Wood and Juliana Westray Wood".

But beware (when googling for him) of a "William Wightman Wood County Court Judge of the Leicester circuit " ...

Good luck finding the proper W. W. Wood (in full)!

/B

PS. Also note that Martin speculated/guessed on a certain "Mr. William W. Wood of Manilla", already in post #24 (way back in April last year). The same guy?

I like William Wightman Wood for the name. I can see Steere writing to a famous American living in the Philipines before he traveled there. I have seen a birth year of 1804 and 1805. I wiould like to know his death date to see if he lived until 1874. Norman Wood was born in 1857 so too young to have gone with Steere. The only thing I could find about his Father Jessup Wood was he had a valuable cow who died from eating too many pumpkins.

Last edited:
Wood work ... in progress

The Canadian-US Actor and Theatre manager William Burke Wood (1779–1861), here or/alt. here, married (30th of January 1804, in Philadelphia, USA) the British-born Actress Miss Juliana Westray (1778–1838) here, thereafter known as Mrs Juliana Westray Wood, resulting in William Wightman Wood, US journalist, adventurer, publicist, Author, poet, naturalist, (unsuccessful) coffee and sugar plantation manager, clerk, photographer, etc., etc. ... a guy that ended up in East Asia (Canton, Macao, and Manilla).

Apparently he was challenged to duel in 1832 (here)! But still going, with a Studio of his own, taking daguerreotypes, in the 1870's, (here).

No years found (that is, no doubtless years, i.e. with exact dates, or Month/s), neither on his Birth, nor his Death.

If of any help/use?

B
--

Last edited:
Also note the quote below, from the book: Lights and Shadows of a Macao Life: The Journal of Harriett Low, Travelling Spinster, (2002), by Harriet Low Hillard (my blue):
And what about William W. Wood? After an unsuccessful attempt to manage a coffee plantation in the Philippines at Jala-Jala, Wood returned to Manila and became a clerk with the American house of Russell and Sturgis. He continued to collect animal specimens for the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia and in 1857 presented the Academy with a collection of Daguerreotypes — views of Manila and portraits of native people ...
Surely it ought to be him?

/B

REICHENBACH, L.
• Bathilda as in the generic name "Bathilda" 1862.
In 1857 Bonaparte supposedly creates a name Ptilocalpa bathilda BonAPARTE, Iconogr. Pigeons Tb. 15. . I cannot find this in here: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/184364#page/9/mode/1up . But that was the year Bonaparte died so? (Thesaurus ornithologiae, Volume 3
p. 366)
Ptilocalpa Reichenbach 1861 has a card saying it is an emendation of Ptilocolpa Bonaparte.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/P/p01974a.jpg .
Then in 1862-3 Reichenbach publishes Bathilda genus.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/B/B00089A.jpg .
And Charles Bonaparte daughter Bathilde died in 1861. It must be named for her. As stated in Eponym.
Reichenbach called it la Bathilde.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48259#page/41/mode/1up .
And the red-tailed Bathilda.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48259#page/12/mode/1up .

Last edited:
If correct here Wood would be born 1800 as it is written:

Wood first arrived in China 1825 at the age of twenty-five.

1804 would be the year of marriage of his parents. With the moral values at that time (first marriage than children) may be plausible as well.

"Mixornis Woodi"

If correct here Wood would be born 1800 ...

1804 would be the year of marriage of his parents. With the moral values at that time (first marriage than children) may be plausible as well.
Sure, it's possible "if correct" (and that's a big if), he could have been "born 1800", but if he did, if it's even likely (?), I don't know ... according to the link for his English Mother (in#506): "Juliana Westray made her dramatic debut in Boston in 1797. In 1803 she joined the Philadelphia company of actor, director, and theater manager William Burke Wood, whom she married in 1804".

If so, if young William W. Wood was born in (or around) 1800, he would have been an illegitimate Son of Miss Westray (alt. from an earlier, very, very short, unknown marriage), later adopted by the theatrical Mr William Burke Wood, though, this far, I haven't seen any indications what-so-ever of such a scenario. I find it far more likely that he himself simply added a few years, when he left for East Asia, or in the flirtation with miss Low, simply to appear a bit more Grown up (as we know quite a few "young rascals" have done, during the years). But, who knows, I could be dead wrong in this assumption.

Either way, this far I think most points towards a Birth year in about 1804-05. We'll see.

Keep digging!

Björn
--

Last edited:
A few Chinese whispers here :)

William Watkins Wood was born in Philadelphia on 18 April 1808 to William B. Woods and Juliana [Westray].

"Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950" — FamilySearch.org

Not sure how the name Wightman got attached to his legacy but there is no doubt that W.W. Wood the Orientalist, Naturalist and Collector was christened William Watkins Wood.

If he arrived in China in 1825 it was at the age of 17. So one of the reasons William was less of a marriage prospect to Harriett Low would have been his youth...

A few Chinese whispers here :)

William Watkins Wood was born in Philadelphia on 18 April 1808 to William B. Woods and Juliana [Westray].

"Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950" — FamilySearch.org

Have you seen an official record or is there just stated by one of the users of familysearch? We have seen many wrong statements about a person in the genealogical web pages in the past.

"Mixornis Woodi"

Another question (that might be worth checking); was his alleged Father's name truly: "William B. Woods" ... and not Wood ?!

Sigh, this case/topic just gets more and more complicated, a bit more intricate, post by post ...

I'm sure glad he (and "his" Tit-Babbler ssp.) isn't one of mine! ;)

/B

Massot, G.. 2015. Jules Itier and the Lagrene ́ Mission. History of Photography, 39 (4), pp. 319-347:
Another name associated with early photography in Manila is William W. Wood, an American photographer until recently thought to have arrived in Manila in the 1840s or even the 1830s. However, recent research now considers him to have been active from the late 1850s in the Philippines.

[here, on p.327]​

If of any use/help? At least it's an indication that some kind of "recent research" have been done on him lately, but by whom, and where, is unknown to me. The fact that Mr Massot in this Paper decided to write his name as merely "William W. Wood" (contrary to some of the many other contemporary texts we've seen, with "William Wightman Wood") might, could possibly mean that there actually are some doubts/questions on his second Given name. Or not.

Who knows?

/B

And here's an idea, on ...

velia as in:
• the Opal-rumped Tanager Tangara velia LINNAEUS 1758 (here), as "[Motacilla] Velia"

In the dear old Key (per 9th of May) explained as follows (even if listed as in the today dated/synonymous genus Tanagra Linnaeus, 1764 ... ?):
velia
Etymology undiscovered; perhaps a misprint for Sialia, or a mistake for Gr. ελεα elea small bird mentioned by Aristotle (cf. Vellia local Florentine name for a shrike Lanius (Ray 1713)); "99. MOTACILLA. ... Velia. 26. M. cærulea, ventre clunibusque rufescentibus. Muscicapa cærulea, ventre rubro. Edw. av. 22. t. 22. Habitat Surinami." (Linnaeus 1758) (Tanagra).
In Francis Holyoake's Dictionarium Etymologicum Latinum, ... from 1639 (here), we find the exact same spelling as Linnaeus's used: " Velia, avis parva ... Arist.".

Also Matthias Martini had a similar entry in Lexicon Phililogicum, Praecipue Etymologicum Et Sacrum, in Quo Latinae ..., from 1698 (here).

To me it does look like velia ("Velia") could be an accurate, old (possibly, even at that point, outdated?) version, identical in wording, of the Greek bird/name allegedly used by Aristotle?

However, as you all know by now I´m on Deep water when dealing with Greek and Latin. Thereby, take the above for whatever it's worth. If anything at all.

If nothing else, it's just a suggestion, an attempt, a tiny try ...

Enjoy!

Björn

Björn,
Excellent. For a "non-Latin" guy you do very well. It has taken me over 50 years not to find this!
Not only have you cracked velia, but you have found a typo as well (eyes-brain-fingers all declaring independence!), and I must buy yet more Latin dictionaries.
The BOWKey will eventually show, "Mod. L. (Holyoake 1639) velia unknown small bird < Gr. ελεα elea (also ελεια eleia) small marsh bird mentioned by Aristotle, perhaps some sort of warbler (Björn Bergenholtz in litt.); "99. MOTACILLA. ... Velia. 26. M. cærulea, ventre clunibusque rufescentibus. Muscicapa cærulea, ventre rubro. Edw. av. 22. t. 22. Habitat Surinami." (Linnaeus 1758) (Tangara)".

Björn et al.

Yes I agree that "amateur" genealogists are guilty of many online sins but professional historians are also culpable. In the case of William Watkins Wood, no contemporary account I can find, mentions his middle name and the use of William Wightman Wood appears to have crept into the literature through a single historians' incorrect assumptions: Elma Loines' 1953 account of the Seth Low family's sojourns in China has become a significant source for all studying early western relations with China. Here she expounds at length on William W. Wood's relationship with Harriett Low and it seems this is the source of the name Wightman. There was of course a William Wightman Wood - a toff from England who wrote of his time at Eton in the mid 19th C. Perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

The availability of online birth records gives us the opportunity to correct many past wrongs and this is one that needs correction.

The "Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950" available at FamilySearch.org are the transcription of the original images. If one visits a Mormon Family Research center you can see the images but I see no reason to doubt the transcriptions.

This error, however, is mine William Burke Wood did not have an "s" at the end of his name: See here

By the way William was still in Manila in 1875 as he wrote to Sir William Thiselton-Dyer from Manila, on 17 Feb 1875. Thus the presumption that he could have aided Steere in his collecting seems very likely.

Regards Paul

Last edited:
Björn et al.

Yes I agree that "amateur" genealogists are guilty of many online sins but professional historians are also culpable. In the case of William Watkins Wood, no contemporary account I can find, mentions his middle name and the use of William Wightman Wood appears to have crept into the literature through a single historians' incorrect assumptions

Hi Paul I agree that it is not always the "amateur" genealogists if we remember the discussion here about Vieillot. I had similar fights in Wikipedia about the the wrongly named malacologist Constant A. Récluz (don't think a bird is named after him) whose name is in fact César Auguste Récluz. And the community believes what Joseph Charles Hippolyte Crosse introduced here.

Regarding your comment William was still in Manila in 1875 remeber as well my post:

Here as 1804 - after 1882 and died probably in Manila here p. 258 of 290.

It might be possible that there is communication avaiable from 1882 from William in any archive. Philadelphia? I would even speculate that his death might be announced in a Manila newspaper (if there was one availble at that time). See also here. But it looks like there were newspapers.

P.S. And not to be confused with this gentleman William Wood (1774–1857).

Last edited:
Björn,
Excellent. For a "non-Latin" guy you do very well. It has taken me over 50 years not to find this!
James, you're welcome, I'm glad you found it useful! Even a blind squirrel ... and so on. One less to ponder over.

It always feels a bit extraordinary to find/solve a name by the Great Linnaeus.

At least for me, as I spent most/all of my childhood in the small town of Älmhult, some 10 km south of Råshult, where Linnaeus was born. In my mind, he has always been like a storied, legendary neighbour, the renowned (and unapproachable) guy next door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back