• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello everyone! (3 Viewers)

Beardawgdrake

United States
My name is Jeff and I live in Ridgefield, Washington, USA. There is a great wildlife refuge nearby and it is awesome for birdwatching. I recently spotted a solitary duck with a solid black head and green eye patch with a defined tan stripe on top of its head. The body was also mostly solid black. Unfortunately I didn’t get a photo of it. I think perhaps it was a widgeon/ringneck hybrid. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Jeff and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the ID forum, as I think you'll get the help you need there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there Jeff and a very warm welcome to you from me in Myrtle Beach, SC. I sincerely hope you have a great time mingling around us :)

Maybe look at Green-winged Teal. A Ring-necked Duck x Wigeon hybrid would be very unlikely I think, given one is a diving duck and the other is a dabbler.

Was it far enough to make this seem like solid black (the thumbnails even looks solid black on the small phone screen unless you zoom in)?

(American Wigeon - BirdForum Opus)

This sounds to me like some kind of domestic duck. Its origin might be of Mallard or Muscovy Duck stock, or perhaps a hybrid between the two.

It was close enough to see that the head and most of the body were solid black. I didn’t have a good angle on it to take a picture from my car. The green eye patch wasn’t very big and the tan stripe was clearly defined and extended the entire top to back of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back