• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from central Texas (1 Viewer)

TIF

Hi everyone!

I just moved back to the States after 14 years away and am delighting in the huge variety of birds in my area. I grew up in this area but as a child didn't pay much attention to most birds. Roadrunners were an exception and friends were astonished to learn they don't say "meep meep" |:D|.

Learning to identify birds by their sound has been challenging, especially when I can't sing the part back to myself. Some birds have far too many vocalizations in their repertoire too!

Northern Cardinals seem to be one of the most abundant birds around my yard so I have many questions about them, especially their nesting and offspring-rearing behavior. If I don't find answers elsewhere on this site I'll start a thread with those questions.

I'm looking forward to starting a bird journal and list. So far I've noted the common ones: cardinals, mourning doves, white winged doves, robins, cedar waxwings, crows, roadrunners, red tailed hawks, great horned owls, tufted titmice, various sparrows (those are hard to distinguish and the little things sure don't pose for very long!), great blue heron and assorted waterbirds, at least one type of woodpecker, etc. I hear barred owls most nights (and sometimes in the afternoons) but I've never seen one.

Glad to be here and I look forward to learning and interacting on this forum.

|:$|

Last edited:
Hi TIF and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Our Opus articles hold a wealth of information about the birds of the world. You may find this one on your Northern Cardinal of particular interest. If you have more questions about them you should post either in the Information Wanted forum or the Bird Behaviour forum, I'm sure our members will do their best to help you.

Meantime, I hope you enjoy your time here with us and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi Tif, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back