• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Michigan (1 Viewer)

Mi_chickadee

Hi everyone :) I'm Judy, from the palm of the mitt of Michigan. I found this forum last night and will try to visit more after the holidays.

I've always liked birds but quit feeding them when I found I was feeding my cat. I started feeding them again while I was caring for my dying mom with the help of hospice. Having the feeders and learning the species help Mom and me make it through each day. After she passed on to a better place I discovered I loved watching and learning about birds. I now have 17 various forms of feeders in my yard and love watching their antics as they feed and socialize. I've recently purchased a digital camera and my goal is photographing them as I fill the feeders. I am trying to learn new photo programs and my four month old computer. If I ever learn how, I will post a few of my bird shots. ( I tried an attachment. Hope it worked )

Thanx to the folks who sent me a private hello. :) This looks like a great place to hang out. Hope to learn a lot.

A marvelous day to all. :)

Hi MI_chickadee,

Let me wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum on behalf of all the Moderators and Admin Staff.
We look forward to the birding reports from your feeders... how on earth do you control 17!!!

We also look forward to you photos.

You've probably figured by now that the attachement didn't work - even though I expect you followed all the instructions.

There is a trick instruction though... Don't Preview after attaching, otherwise you have to reload your attachment (well it used to be that way, at least.)

If you have any more trouble, just ask, and I am sure someone will come to your aid.

Otherwise, simply enjoy the Forums.

:t:

Hi there Judy. Welcome to Bird Forum.....I'm sure you'll be as addicted as the rest of us in a very short time!!!
Like you,I have a few feeders in my small back garden...only five though!!!......think I'd have to get a second job just to be able to afford to keep 17 filled!!! It's wonderfully relaxing though, and exciting, to see what turns up!!! I've got a whole load of ideas to try to bring even more species in over the next few months.

Hi Judy. Welcome to the forum. As Gill said it is very addictive and you will soon get to feel at home,but 17 feeders WOW! I struggle to keep 5 full. look forward to seeing some photo's. John.

Thanx all, for the great welcome. I'm guessing on how to reply.

I fill the feeders 2 times a week. Takes me about an hour each time. Some are mesh bags and I keep refills ready in the garage. Use milk jugs filled and waiting as well. During quiet times I fill the containers-in-waiting and mix up the foods for the hoppers and tray feeders. I have 2 trays, 2 fly throughs, 8 mesh feeders, 3 fly throughs, 5 hoppers, 3 hanging plant baskets with foil pie tins inside, 4 suet feeders, and an oriole feeder that now houses peanut butter, chopped peanuts, raisins, and gingersnap crumbs. Ooops, guess that's more than 17.

Nesting boxes will be our next step. My mate has built a few birdhouses which are occupied. I'm looking for a crochet pattern for the little hanging bird roosting bags. Does anyone have any?

We're living in a former countryside area that is rapidly being developed so we get all critters in our yard at one time or the other. Love it!!

I printed out someone's tute for attaching pics. Will get on it asap and share the few I have. We did put one hopper outside my bedroom window and once it gets established I hope to get some more great shots.

Judy

Hi Judy,

We joined on the same day! Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to hearing more from the "palm" of the mitt of MI.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back