• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Vienna! (1 Viewer)

Pakann

Austria
Thanks for admitting me to Birdforum although I am not an ornithologist or another kind of bird person. I a historical anthropologist dealing with indigenous cultures of the Americas and as such have had my share of encounters with birds and feathers, including the ancient Mexican feather headdress here in Vienna and historically collected featgerwork in general. One of my current projects is a list bird and other animal names in the Botocudo language of eastern Brazil recorded in 1817/8 by Prince Maximilian of Wied that has so far been overlooked by linguists. "Pakann" is the Botocudo generic term for "bird" in the Botocudo language
I was attracted to Birdform by the discussion about the biography of Alphonse Forrer in the "Spinus notatus forreri" forum. I happen to work on the ethnographic collection assembled by Forrer among the Klamath and have put together what I consider to be the most complete biographical account of Forrer. This will be published next year, but in order to save the Spinus notatus forum unnecessary trouble, I would like to share draft version of the section on Forrer's life with the forum - and will post this directly at the appropriaze place.

Hi Pakann and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That sounds very interesting and I know they'll appreciate any information you can share in that thread.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back