• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello....snowing at my house!!! (3 Viewers)

Tammie said:
Hi Jordan and welcom to you too!
I just LOVE your avatar! You'll quickly learn that I'm almost desperate to see a real live cardinal ...I don't get them here. :( It's pathetic, really, my desperation! I'm sure a couple of people on here could tell you about it!
Hope you enjoy your time here. Don't get hooked.... or is it already too late?! ;)

Hi Tammie,
Thank you! Yes, the Cardinal is a beautiful bird, and it is the state bird of Ohio so I thought it appropriate. I have 10 pair that feed at my feeding station that I know of. The Cardinals are the first ones at the feeders in the morning, and they are in and out of the Crabapple tree off and on all day long and they are the last to feed in the evening. When I look out my back window there is a creek that runs through the land, and they nest out there, so I can watch them all day long. We have lived here almost a year and it is great. I could watch the birds all day long. Thanks for your welcome Tammie. And yes I am already hooked. I love this site.
jordan :bounce:

Nancy said:
Hi Tammie amd all the others living in sub-zero temperatures. I don't think I could exist in that sort of climate. Every time you go out of the house you would have to put coat, boots, gloves, hat and God Knows what else on. When I was a child we had a bit of snow sometimes in Ireland but it only lasted a week or so and when we go to our 'Alpine Resorts' here in Australia the temp is seldom lower -5 during the day. Do you get chillblains???
I was a bit hot today with the temp at 38%C but I'd rather that than spend 4 or 5 months surrounded by snow. It might be fun for a couple of weeks but more than that would drive me nuts. I'm glad you have your lovely birds to watch (presumably through your windows) and I'm sure they are very grateful for the food supply. What would they live on if people were not feeding them?

Hi Nancy,
You're right, we do have to load up on the layers of clothing when we go out but I'm sure I give my neighbor a good laugh every morning when I step out in my flannet nightgown and either ducky shoes or winter boots (depending on if it snowed during the night) just to throw seed on the platform feeder! I'll be very glad when it's warmer out to do that. It's pretty hard on the legs at -30C!
By the way, what are 'chillblains'???

jordan said:
Hi Tammie,
Thank you! Yes, the Cardinal is a beautiful bird, and it is the state bird of Ohio so I thought it appropriate. I have 10 pair that feed at my feeding station that I know of. The Cardinals are the first ones at the feeders in the morning, and they are in and out of the Crabapple tree off and on all day long and they are the last to feed in the evening. When I look out my back window there is a creek that runs through the land, and they nest out there, so I can watch them all day long. We have lived here almost a year and it is great. I could watch the birds all day long. Thanks for your welcome Tammie. And yes I am already hooked. I love this site.
jordan :bounce:

I'm so jealous of your cardinals.... think I'll move to your backyard!! :( I keep hearing that they are slowly moving north in their range so I have hope that I may see one..... some day.... preferably in my lifetime! Sounds like you have beautiful property. I'd love to have a creek nearby... instead, I have a small swamp but last year, it attracted 2 black ducks so I can't complain. You're cardinals sound exactly like my pine grosbeaks... first in the morning, last at night.
I sure hope you can post some photos of the cardinals. I'd love to see them!

Tammie said:
!
By the way, what are 'chillblains'???

Tammie, thefact that you don't know what chillblains are just shows how well protected fron the cold you are. Sixty years ago in Ireland some of the children used to get chilblains on their toes from the cold........I guess it was a mild form of frostbite. We didn't have the insulated boots that are available now and when the leather got sodden the cold would creep in to bite the little toes inside. You may have a different name for them in Canada.

Nancy said:
Tammie, thefact that you don't know what chillblains are just shows how well protected fron the cold you are. Sixty years ago in Ireland some of the children used to get chilblains on their toes from the cold........I guess it was a mild form of frostbite. We didn't have the insulated boots that are available now and when the leather got sodden the cold would creep in to bite the little toes inside. You may have a different name for them in Canada.

ACtually Nancy, I've never heard of that before. I guess we just call it frostbite... I've never heard it called anything else before. Interesting! I've been very close to having frostbite on my toes before (from snowmobiling and ice fishing) and it's excruciating!!!! Don't care to get any worse than that, thank you!! ;)

Well thanks for the rain!!!! Today we started with snow over night ...now it is sleet and we are in a FLOOD watch now because the temp is ABOVE FREEZING!!!!!! (FOR THE FIRST IN A WHILE) We are to get 2-4 inches of rain today and that will also help to melt the foot+ of snow that we have!!!! Gonna have to get the boat out too!!!!!!! Well it could be worse!!!
Have a great day everyone!!!

crazybirdlady said:
Well thanks for the rain!!!! Today we started with snow over night ...now it is sleet and we are in a FLOOD watch now because the temp is ABOVE FREEZING!!!!!! (FOR THE FIRST IN A WHILE) We are to get 2-4 inches of rain today and that will also help to melt the foot+ of snow that we have!!!! Gonna have to get the boat out too!!!!!!! Well it could be worse!!!

Bobbi, how in the world can you sound so cheerful in those conditions?! ;)

crazybirdlady said:
Could it be worse ??? Hard to imagine how - I now feel rather feeble moaning about the fact it was drizzling when I took the dog out for his evening stroll through the fields and I slipped over in the mud !!

well I can't do much to change how it is so I am just gonna have to live with it ...right??!! At least it brings the birds to the feeder and lets me stay inside!!!!

Bobbi

crazybirdlady said:
well I can't do much to change how it is so I am just gonna have to live with it ...right??!! At least it brings the birds to the feeder and lets me stay inside!!!!

Bobbi
Well you're certainly right there :t:

Of course us Brits just love to complain about the weather ;)

Annie

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back