• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this bird - Sept 22 2010, North of Arcitc Circle, Alaska (1 Viewer)

This little fellow flew past me about 4 times while I was sitting on a rock. I finally put a 100-400mm lens on and waited for it again. The white eye ring and short tail lead me to the Warbler family, but none of the wing markings match any in my books. One Vireo almost matches, but is not striped or spotted on the belly and also doesn't even get close to Alaska.

Thank you

Attachments

• 133 - A Warbler type bird at Lookout Rock II.jpg
    133 - A Warbler type bird at Lookout Rock II.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 273
This little fellow flew past me about 4 times while I was sitting on a rock. I finally put a 100-400mm lens on and waited for it again. The white eye ring and short tail lead me to the Warbler family, but none of the wing markings match any in my books. One Vireo almost matches, but is not striped or spotted on the belly and also doesn't even get close to Alaska.

Thank you

Isn't it a pipit?

Stephen

Although I'm not familiar with the exotic pipits which wander into Alaska, the bird in the photo seems consistent with American Pipit.

Help ID this bird - Spet 22 2010, North of ARctic Circle, Alaska

I want to thank everyone for posting their suggestions. All of you suggested American Pipit. Even so, I still disagreed. I want to thank Phil for the WEB Site link. After researching that and looking further on the Internet I am forced to agree - It is a Pipit and more likely the American Pipit.

I appreciate all the help.

Dickie

Yippee - this is exactly why I joined the forum. We get lots of pipits up here in Shetland. So having read your post Dickie Byrd, I thought great I'm not very confident with warblers so I'll have a go.

My first thought on seeing the picture you attached was - oh, it looks like a pipit. Scroll down .... yep everyone else agreed. Fab. I couldn't go any further but hey, I'm a beginner!

Thank you for your post - Julie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back