• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identify front lens problem? (1 Viewer)

Northman

Trying a binocular, but there is something on the front lens.

What do you think it could be?

Its two round dots close together and a long thin mark. Cant see if its scratched.

Tried with a fine dry rag to clean of, but no change. So not oil. Thought it might be objective cover to close and rubbing against coating?

C234D632-62B3-4CEB-BFFE-59359A2A3BC8.jpeg
BBDD0E28-4BA8-476C-AFE4-ECE9C4E6EAFF.jpeg

Pending some comment from one of the experts, my take is that this is cosmetic.
It may well be a scratch or a flaw, but it is not going to affect the view.
Even a large blemish on the oculars gets merged out of the final image.
Bill Cook once noted that you can demonstrate that yourself.
Have a friend stick a dime sized Post-it on one ocular without you knowing when and look through the glass.
You'll have a hard time trying to decide whether the view is clear or obstructed.

Wondering if that's internal or external. You might try an up-close examination with flashlight and magnifying glass, shining the light and shifting your viewing angles this way and that. Even shine the light through the eyepiece. Also, very very gently trace your fingertip across the lens to see if there's a difference in texture.

Pending some comment from one of the experts, my take is that this is cosmetic.
It may well be a scratch or a flaw, but it is not going to affect the view.
Even a large blemish on the oculars gets merged out of the final image.
Bill Cook once noted that you can demonstrate that yourself.
Have a friend stick a dime sized Post-it on one ocular without you knowing when and look through the glass.
You'll have a hard time trying to decide whether the view is clear or obstructed.
Quite true that it might not make a diff. But the flaw looks huuuuge to me and if 'evaluating' a bin, I'd be looking elsewhere. That said, I'm unclear whether this is a prospective purchase or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back