• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed - is this a hobby? (1 Viewer)

Mis

I've been spending too much time looking skywards recently and today I saw what I at first thought was a kestrel circling over the meadows. It seemed higher than usual for a kestrel and was slowly gaining height until it was little more than a speck. I took some photos and when I looked at the pics on screen I could see the facial markings were more like a hobby or peregrine. It seems to have a hint of colour around the vent area which makes me think it's a hobby. These pics are the best of the bunch and haven't been resized. Even with a 400mm lens it wasn't a very big image.

I've never seen either in the flesh (in the feather?) so I would be delighted if anyone can tell me what it is.
Unless I'm totally wrong of course!

Attachments

• IMG_7851.jpg
    IMG_7851.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 33
I think the bird photography gods are smiling on me today! I've just seen it again and much closer! I think it's a male.

Attachments

• IMG_7896.jpg
    IMG_7896.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_7898.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7899.jpg
    IMG_7899.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 26
Great stuff, I had a similar experience a few years ago but couldn't identify the bird for sure. Behaved like a hobby but was too high and too fast to see properly. Good seeing it once but twice is much better. Good pics too.

Hi Miss
Great capture, the detail of the bird shows really well. :t::t:

Ray

Lucky you, getting 'a second bite of the cherry'!! and well done for taking such wonderful photos of such a beauty!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back