• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP! Robin's Nest Being Built in Inconvenient Location (1 Viewer)

SarahPNW

United States
Hello, all! My name is Sarah, and I live in the Pacific Northwest. I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but this seems like a good place. Help! There is a robin building a nest RIGHT NOW in the eaves of our second-story porch. Normally, I would be THRILLED and would look forward to watching the progression, waiting for the eggs to be laid and the hatchings to happen, etc. We haven't had a robin's nest on our porch in the 5 years we've been here, so this would be very exciting. Except...in about a week we will be having some construction happening in and around our porch. Lots of noise, dust, etc. Most of the activity will be happening on the ground below, but some will be up at the porch level (new railings being installed, new stair being built). Nothing at the eaves themselves, but I worry all of this activity would not be good for newly laid eggs and the safety of hatchlings. Additionally, could the robins show aggression toward anyone who might be in the area after the eggs are laid or the hatchlings are present?

I understand from reading that it takes a few days for the robins to ready the nest before the eggs are laid (there are actually several nests being built, spaced at every eave; I believe I read these might be decoy nests, as we do have a lot of crow activity in the area). I also read that it might be a crime to move the nest after there are eggs in it (and I can completely understand why, as the parents might abandon it).

What can I do?? I believe if we intend to move (or, forgive this word, destroy) the nest, now is the time to do it. These nests were literally not here yesterday, so they've only started building them late yesterday and/or overnight. They're busy building this morning. So, I believe there are no eggs present. Should I take action now? Can I deter them from coming back? This saddens me so to think about doing this, but I would be so much sadder if harm came to young hatchlings, or the parents flew off and didn't return for some reason after the eggs were laid.

Help! Any advise would be much appreciated!

Sarah

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Before you do anything, please check out the laws of your country/state; you can get some information here: Bird nests | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

I hope you enjoy your time here with us and look forward to hearing about the wildlife you see when out and about.

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Before you do anything, please check out the laws of your country/state; you can get some information here: Bird nests | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

I hope you enjoy your time here with us and look forward to hearing about the wildlife you see when out and about.
Delia,

Thank you for the welcome and the link! We will absolutely investigate any applicable laws and regulations before taking action. Much appreciated!

Cheers Sarah. Your contractors should also be made aware of the nest, they should be aware of the laws in your area about this.

Good luck.

The multiple nests aren't a deliberate strategy - that just results from the birds getting confused, by the regular spacing of rafters/whatever, exactly where it is that they have decided to build.

Delia did answer - the poster asked for advice, Delia gave advice and usefully provided a direct link to where they could get relevant information
The question was about building the nest,there’s no eggs or chicks in it at the time,the link doesn’t appear to cover that. I want to know whether the birds would start building a new nest somewhere else

The question was about building the nest,there’s no eggs or chicks in it at the time,the link doesn’t appear to cover that. I want to know whether the birds would start building a new nest somewhere else
Hi - while the nest is under construction it cannot be destroyed, even before the eggs are laid - in the UK this would be an offence under WCA 1981

I would not bother trying to move the nest. If the nest is abandoned this year there is still a good chance that the robin will try again next year.

In the USA the wildlife services focus on selling more hunting permits and are very seldom involved in protecting wildlife, especially non game species that do not generate hunting revenue for the agencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back