• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Suggested cameras please... (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

I'm going to Ethiopia in under three weeks and would like to do some digiscoping with the new Swarovski 95mm scope.

I'd be really grateful for some advice from the many experts on here:

1. If I were to buy a DCB II, what top three digi-cameras would people recommend? [I don't want to lug an SLR around]

2. Do any of these cameras have a decent macro facility? I would like to take photos of butterflies without being attached to the scope?

3. Is there an alternative to the DCB II and if so what, and any recommended camera / adapter combinations. Any downsides?

Thanks as always

Mike Hunter
Darlington
mikee_deedee AT yahoo.co.uk

I'm going to Ethiopia in under three weeks and would like to do some digiscoping with the new Swarovski 95mm scope.

I'd be really grateful for some advice from the many experts on here:

1. If I were to buy a DCB II, what top three digi-cameras would people recommend? [I don't want to lug an SLR around]

2. Do any of these cameras have a decent macro facility? I would like to take photos of butterflies without being attached to the scope?

3. Is there an alternative to the DCB II and if so what, and any recommended camera / adapter combinations. Any downsides?

Thanks as always

Mike Hunter
Darlington
mikee_deedee AT yahoo.co.uk

Mike,
Have a look at one of the Micro Four Cameras. The GX7 or GH3 are the best at the moment. You could use the 20/1.7 lens for digiscoping or use it straight on the TLS APO adapter with manual focusing and get one of the other lenses for macro.
If you want smaller then look at the Sony RX 100 M2 but you will have to use it on the DCB 11 Adapter
Neil

Thanks Neil

I'm attracted to your RX100 II option (size) or even the RX100 which I can see from your other posts on this forum you rate. Do you still think the optical difference between the two is between 5-8%?

Before I take the plunge, I own a predecessor to a Panasonic Lumix FZ45 (I'm away from home so can't check exact model). Can I digiscope with this camera using Swaro's DCB II? I know the lens protrudes when zooming so may not be possible.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks Neil

I'm attracted to your RX100 II option (size) or even the RX100 which I can see from your other posts on this forum you rate. Do you still think the optical difference between the two is between 5-8%?

Before I take the plunge, I own a predecessor to a Panasonic Lumix FZ45 (I'm away from home so can't check exact model). Can I digiscope with this camera using Swaro's DCB II? I know the lens protrudes when zooming so may not be possible.

Thanks again.

Mike

Mike,
For video the difference between the two cameras is negligible. Distance and quality of light make a much bigger difference to the output from the two Sonys.
Your Lumix I presume is also a long zoom (24 - 600 mm approx ) so not suitable for digiscoping. You need a camera with lens range between 24 - 140 mm , with 35 - 105 mm being the ideal but there aren't any like that anymore as people prefer wider zooms these days.
I like full HD video quality 1920x1080 at 50p, although at a pinch I'll accept 30p. That's why I like the Sony's as they all have full HD video these days whereas the Nikons and most of the Panasonics don't. The new Panasonic GX7 does though and is an excellent camera for digiscoping with the 20/1.7 kit lens.
The Nikon P310 (without Raw) is also an excellent little digiscoping camera and can be picked up cheaply these days as the new model P330 is out.
Neil.

Since you have the ATX 95, I would recommend the TLS APO module.

Then, consider a micro 4/3rds camera such as the Panasonic Lumix GX7 or similar camera with in-body image stabilization. You will also need the micro 4/3rds adapter. Use the adapter on the camera body, and thread it onto the rear of the TLS. The lens is in the TLS. The camera body on the TLS will fit in a medium size lens pouch on your hip in the field.

The ATX / STX scopes were designed as a system with the TLS module. The TLS module with the attached camera is fast on and off the scope, and has repeatable accuracy in doing so, an excellent system. Consider a Gitzo GT 2531 or 2541 tripod for stability.

Regarding macro, there are several excellent Lumix lens choices. For example, the 14-45 zoom (28-90, 35mm equiv) has a close focus of one foot, and the 35-100 has a close focus of 2.8 feet. The Lumix 100-300 lens gives you a 200-600mm telephoto option in addition to the 1350mm focal length when digiscoping with the ATX 95 at 30x.

The ATX 95 with the TLS, Lumix GX7, and one or two of the above lenses is a compact travel system. Beats lugging a scope and my 1D Mk4 and 500 lens with air travel these days.

Jay

Last edited:
Neil - Thanks for your advice. Having researched this with a bit more time I can see you are usually first to offer advice - many thanks for doing so here.

My camera is in fact the FZ35 (this might be the american version with 18x optical zoom. A little dated now but as you say not suitable for digiscoping. Still not sure which camera to go for - still researching, but still attracted to the RX100 (or the P310 if I wanted to go easy on my budget).

Jay - Agree with all you say, and given I have the ATX I should opt for the APO, however, the combined cost for APO & camera is putting me off a bit.

Thanks again.

Mike

hi i am thinking of digiscoping with my kowa scope. and wonder whats the cheepest x best small digital camera to get. I havent got the adaptor to fit on the scope yet. as i think the camera would be the first thing to get then the adaptor.

hi i am thinking of digiscoping with my kowa scope. and wonder whats the cheepest x best small digital camera to get. I havent got the adaptor to fit on the scope yet. as i think the camera would be the first thing to get then the adaptor.

One of the less expensive cameras is the Nikon Coolpix range. Now the P330 (with Raw) , but the previous P310 has the same lens and is also good with most eyepieces , including zooms.
The ideal range for digiscoping is a 35 - 105 mm camera lens but it's hard to find this these days but there are plenty around that are 24/28 - 100/140 mm.Best to test them first though or check here for people who might have used them.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back