• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Help wanted with shortening my shortlist of 8x32 binoculars for < 300 € (Vanguard, Nikon, Opticron, Bresser) (1 Viewer)

jch10400

I have both the original Vanguard Endeavor 8x42 and the Endeavor II 8x32. While they felt solid, both have to go in for repairs after about 3 years of use (maybe 1x per week each). The hinge worked loose on the 8x42 and the diopter adjustment doesn't stay at the same setting on the 8x32 (the diopter ring locks in place but the setting moves if I tip the binoculars up and down)

ZDHart

Supporter

ZDHart

Supporter
M7 for non glasses wearers. Traveller for glasses. The extra eye rel7ef is a massive boon, even for sunglasses let alone spectacles.
Ratal... so if extra eye relief doesn't matter... M7 is the better binocular? FOV is a dramatically wider with Travellers. And close focus is closer.

How do the focusers compare between the two? Smoothness. Lightness of operation?

How does the field of sharpness compare between them?

Color quality? Aberration correction?

Are the M7 and Travellers virtually identical, aside from eye relief, field of view, and close focus?

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Ratal... so if extra eye relief doesn't matter... M7 is the better binocular? FOV is a dramatically wider with Travellers. And close focus is closer.

Some misunderstanding here methinks as Ratal clearly recommends Traveller for use with glasses and explains this by saying the extra eye relief is a massive boon.

Lee

ZDHart

Supporter
Lee... my understanding from Ratal's statement was that if the extra eye relief (offered by the Travellers) didn't matter/wasn't needed (by folks who don't wear glasses) then the M7 is the better choice for those non-glasses wearers. I'm thinking the implication was that aside from eye relief considerations (which might better suit eyeglass wearers), the M7 are better bins?

Did I miss something here? Or get it wrong?

I do understand that the greater eye relief with the Travellers may suit glasses wearers better. But how do the two bins compare for those who don't wear glasses and don't need the extra eye relief of the Travellers? The M7s are overall a better bin than Travellers, except for those folks who need the extra eye relief?

I haven't had the opportunity to check out either of those bins and I don't wear glasses - is why I ask the questions.

Last edited:

follerma

Germany
follerma,
Kite and Ddoptics have 8x30/32 binoculars that are in your price range and what I have seen from the Kites 8x30 : attractive for a good price. Ddoptics and Kite offer the same binoculars, but Ddoptics operates mostly in Germany if I am well informed. The Kites are similar to the Nikon 8x30.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks! For Kite it's the Ursus models that are in my price range, for DDoptics it's the Kolibrie series, both of which have an 8x32 model. Neither of the two models have ED glass (I know, I know, it's not really a must and much of the talk about it is marketing) and my impression, especially for the Ursus binoculars is that I can get more for the same price from other manufacturers. They do have their advantages, but just didn't make in in my shortlist.

follerma

Germany
I have both the original Vanguard Endeavor 8x42 and the Endeavor II 8x32. While they felt solid, both have to go in for repairs after about 3 years of use (maybe 1x per week each). The hinge worked loose on the 8x42 and the diopter adjustment doesn't stay at the same setting on the 8x32 (the diopter ring locks in place but the setting moves if I tip the binoculars up and down)
Oh, that doesn't sound good at all. Sorry to hear the hassle you have with them. This is not the first voice raising concerns about their QA. I guess the Vanguards may be the first to leave my shortlist. Sounds too risky in the long run.

normjackson

Well Frank it's looking good if the budget Celestron DX 10x42 is nearly there for eye relief and has an acceptably sized sweet spot(?) The Nikon M7 may well be in the running after all. And there's no need to lengthen your list with used flat field designs or ones with compromised FOV :)

I just noticed Jessops in the UK are offering a special on the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 atm, but like so many other retailers there also seems to be a conspicuous lack of stock :(

Vanguard UK customer support seems to get good feedback. For better or worse looks like maybe they are more inclined to replace than repair for all but the most easily rectified issues eg. loose eyecups, hinge or dioptre ring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a thread here somewhere on BF addressing the question of what folks consider an acceptable life expectancy for a mid-price binocular if that's possible given differences in care taken and amount of use. More easily answered would be whether a requirement to return to manufacturer for a repair or replacement in that time is considered par for the course. I suspect for many it would be.

follerma

Germany
Well Frank it's looking good if the budget Celestron DX 10x42 is nearly there for eye relief and has an acceptably sized sweet spot(?) The Nikon M7 may well be in the running after all. And there's no need to lengthen your list with used flat field designs or ones with compromised FOV :)

I just noticed Jessops in the UK are offering a special on the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 atm, but like so many other retailers there also seems to be a conspicuous lack of stock :(

Vanguard UK customer support seems to get good feedback. For better or worse looks like maybe they are more inclined to replace than repair for all but the most easily rectified issues eg. loose eyecups, hinge or dioptre ring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a thread here somewhere on BF addressing the question of what folks consider an acceptable life expectancy for a mid-price binocular if that's possible given differences in care taken and amount of use. More easily answered would be whether a requirement to return to manufacturer for a repair or replacement in that time is considered par for the course. I suspect for many it would be.
Thanks, normjackson!

Well, the good thing is that I can test the Nikon M7 in a store in my city. I did actually look through it once, but that's a while ago when it wasn't on my shortlist yet and I didn't really know what to look for. So, for example, I didn't do the glasses-on-glasses-off test to check if the eye relief will do. I will definitely check them next time around. But then again, I can't really A/B test (or A/B/C/D test for that matter) all four models. So it's still a matter of "Well, mayyybe one of the others is still better." I guess I have to get over this kind of thinking someday.

It's certainly good to hear that in the UK Vanguard's customer support is well reviewed. The other question, of course, is whether it's a good thing that you need to have your bins repaired or replaced in the first place. I would rather prefer not to have to contact customer support at all if possiible. Seeing that many people seem to have issues to deal with with the Vanguards just doesn't give me a good feeling of reliability. But maybe that's something I need to get over with as well.

jring

Hi,

if you can test the M7, I would try if you can see the whole field with your glasses (compare field of view w/o glasses and eyecups up vs with glasses and eyecups down). In that case, you could consider them but of course your next glasses might work less well if you get a bulkier frame...

The M7 delivers a very nice package at the price... The Traveller ED is very closely related but a bit more expensive... and has a bit more ER...

Joachim

ZDHart

Supporter
Hi,

if you can test the M7, I would try if you can see the whole field with your glasses (compare field of view w/o glasses and eyecups up vs with glasses and eyecups down). In that case, you could consider them but of course your next glasses might work less well if you get a bulkier frame...

The M7 delivers a very nice package at the price... The Traveller ED is very closely related but a bit more expensive... and has a bit more ER...

Joachim
Joachim... how do the focusers compare between the M7 and Traveller? Which focuser is lighter to turn, which is smoother?

normjackson

For an open bridged model the now discontinued Opticron Verano HD 8x32 looks like a robust option :
A used one available now at LCEGroup for about same price as a new Nikon M7 8x30.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread