• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help - Where do I start?! (1 Viewer)

Brolac

I would love to start digiscoping but the more I look into it the more confused I get - I need some help!

At the moment I have neither a digital camera or scope - the plan is to buy these (plus necessary extras) over the next 12 months. I would like to buy the digital camera this year to get some practice but could delay this if necessary. Budget wise, I could spend up to £600 on a camera this year and £1000 on a scope next spring/summer.

My initial instinct was to go with Nikon - I like the CP5400 but get the strong impression from this site that that will be no good and would need to go for the CP4500 or D70. I'm reluctant to splash out on a D70 at this stage because due to cost/time constraints. However, aesthetically I don't like the look of the CP4500 (is this just the price to pay for a good digiscoping camera?) and there are suggestions that Nikon will cease production of it soon.

Does anyone have any experience of any other cameras or is Nikon the best around at the moment? Should I wait a while see if anything other cameras are released?

If I get a Nikon do we need to buy a Nikon scope or will any others suit? Does anyone have any recommendations as to scopes and tripods?

Apologies for the essay - there is just so much to ask!

Hi Brolac,
What do you want to do with your photos? Big (A4+) prints will be a rare event from digiscoping. What's more, are you a birder or is your interest primarily in bird photography.... buying a scope and camera suitable for digiscoping wouldn't really be the best choice if it's the latter, buying something like a Nikon D70 and a reasonably long lens would be.

Only a very few cameras are suitable for digiscoping... these would be the Nikon coolpix cp4500 (out of production but still available), several older Nikon coolpix cameras such as the cp990 and cp995 (secondhand they are available for £200'ish). Just lately we have been testing the Contax SL300RT* (and similar models from Kyocera) camera for digiscoping, and these seem excellent for the birder wishing to get reasonable shots through a scope. Purchase this months Birdwatching magazine for a free supplement all about digiscoping (sponsored by Nikon, so inevitably biased towards them)
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy. Actually I'm Brolac's wife - Brolac is an avid birder and while I'm happy birding with him, having not had a passion for the hobby since a child, I have a slightly shorter attention span. I have however, always wanted to take up photography and digiscoping seems like a good solution - we get to go birding together and I get to take some photos.

Essentially I just want to take some nice shots and don't have any ambitions beyond that at this stage, except maybe sharing them with family and friends. I have the digiscoping supplement from this months Birdwatching magazine which is very useful. It would be nice to get an unbiased view though!

Thanks.

Brolac said:
Thanks Andy. Actually I'm Brolac's wife - Brolac is an avid birder and while I'm happy birding with him, having not had a passion for the hobby since a child, I have a slightly shorter attention span. I have however, always wanted to take up photography and digiscoping seems like a good solution - we get to go birding together and I get to take some photos.

Essentially I just want to take some nice shots and don't have any ambitions beyond that at this stage, except maybe sharing them with family and friends. I have the digiscoping supplement from this months Birdwatching magazine which is very useful. It would be nice to get an unbiased view though!

Thanks.
Digiscoping may be the right choice after all then. I just never like recommending the expense of a camera and scope when the scope will only be used for digiscoping and that some people never get the hang of digiscoping (with it's many limitations) and quickly progress to genuine traditional photography. The scope sounds as if it will get plenty of proper use from your husband even if digiscoping doesn't work out for you.

Although I praised the Nikon cp4500 in the booklet, it was only due to the fact that these cameras are still available to the readers. I would not have recommended the latest Nikons.
As far as scopes go, don't be limited in choice just to the Nikon range, although very good, there are several excellent alternatives.
Don't forget the Birdforum digiscoping course in September, also in birdwatching magazine ;)
Regards,
Andy

Another birders wife

My story is exactly the same. I go birding with my husband and try to take an interest and have been thinking lately that digiscoping might provide me with added interest. I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Nikon 990 with quite a few accesories (bag, extra card, monitor hood) would this be a good start? Its said to be in excellent condition, what sort of price would this usually command?

I use an old Opticron telescope (handed down) would this be suitable or would I need to upgrade that too?

Kath

kstennett said:
My story is exactly the same. I go birding with my husband and try to take an interest and have been thinking lately that digiscoping might provide me with added interest. I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Nikon 990 with quite a few accesories (bag, extra card, monitor hood) would this be a good start? Its said to be in excellent condition, what sort of price would this usually command?

I use an old Opticron telescope (handed down) would this be suitable or would I need to upgrade that too?

Kath
The camera is absolutely top notch for digiscoping, many of the 'old school' digiscopers still prefer this model to the newer Nikons. As for price, for the camera alone I wouldn't want to pay much more than £180. There are several cp990's on ebay. Jessops usually have some used examples but they tend to cost a bit more as they are checked out by engineers and sold with a limited warranty (+VAT). The extras probably don't add up to much, it depends upon the size of the memory cards supplied.

As to the scope, I'd need a bit more info on what model it is ...but you may as well keep it and see how you get on. The quality of the scope in front of the camera does make a big difference to the results but it's surprising how good images can be from low-mid range scopes.

Regards,
Andy

Reading your comments about not liking the style of the Nikon 4500.

I have a Fuji 602 camera, which looks the business. It looks like a professional SLR, and to be fair it takes good pictures has lots of features and I have little complaints with it.

However it did cost at the time I bought it, far more than a Nikon 4500, and it is not use whatsoever for digiscoping. The Nikon 4500 on the other hand is brilliant for digiscoping, and really does take excellent pictures. It has lots of features the Nikon doesn't. Like focusing on infinity, many more preset modes for closeups, fireworks, night and snow etc... I know the shape is a bit odd, but once you get over the embarrasment, you may even get it out in public and take pictures at family events, weddings etc...

One of the biggest plus's for me is the ease in carrying. Its small enough to stick in a pocket. Its robust and there are no parts which my easily fall off. My Fuji 602 is big and bulky. Needs a camera bag to transport, and is flimsy and fragile.

Your choice!!!!!

Well done! Meanwhile I've bought a 990 with lots of accesories from Ebay. It should arrive in a few days. Maybe we two birders wives with our cameras will bump into each other in some hide somewhere one day!!

Brolac said:
I would love to start digiscoping but the more I look into it the more confused I get - I need some help!

At the moment I have neither a digital camera or scope - the plan is to buy these (plus necessary extras) over the next 12 months. I would like to buy the digital camera this year to get some practice but could delay this if necessary. Budget wise, I could spend up to £600 on a camera this year and £1000 on a scope next spring/summer.

My initial instinct was to go with Nikon - I like the CP5400 but get the strong impression from this site that that will be no good and would need to go for the CP4500 or D70. I'm reluctant to splash out on a D70 at this stage because due to cost/time constraints. However, aesthetically I don't like the look of the CP4500 (is this just the price to pay for a good digiscoping camera?) and there are suggestions that Nikon will cease production of it soon.

Does anyone have any experience of any other cameras or is Nikon the best around at the moment? Should I wait a while see if anything other cameras are released?

If I get a Nikon do we need to buy a Nikon scope or will any others suit? Does anyone have any recommendations as to scopes and tripods?

Apologies for the essay - there is just so much to ask!

Hi,

I guess I am in the same position as others in this thread. I currently have a Kowa 823M angled fluorite scope with the zoom eyepiece. I love it. I would like to take up digiscoping with it and am checking in as to what camera is best for digiscoping and compatible with my scope.

My primary use of the scope is birding not photography. I would like to be able to hand hold the camera to the scope so I can photograph quickly but without scratching the lens. I would also like to use the camera for general photography.

I see from this forum that the consensus is that the CoolPix 4500 is the best camera for digiscoping; that no other manufacturer or model is better, is that correct? There are a lot of cameras out there!

Is this camera compatible with my scope's eyepiece? Should I really consider getting an adapter?

Thanks,
Atropicbird

Hi Atropicbird,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

The Kowa 823M is an excellent scope to use for digiscoping - I used to have one myself and often wish I still did! I had both the 32xWA and 20-60x zoom which was the main one I used.

I also used it with the CP4500 and would recommend the combination.

Camera shake is a big problem with digiscoping and whilst you may still get usable photos hand holding the camera to the eyepiece, personally I think that you'd be far better off using an adapter and even a remote cable release or the camera self timer.

Other camera models are being used for digiscoping but I haven't read of one that is producing better results than the CP4500.

IanF said:
Hi Atropicbird,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

The Kowa 823M is an excellent scope to use for digiscoping - I used to have one myself and often wish I still did! I had both the 32xWA and 20-60x zoom which was the main one I used.

I also used it with the CP4500 and would recommend the combination.

Camera shake is a big problem with digiscoping and whilst you may still get usable photos hand holding the camera to the eyepiece, personally I think that you'd be far better off using an adapter and even a remote cable release or the camera self timer.

Other camera models are being used for digiscoping but I haven't read of one that is producing better results than the CP4500.

Thanks a lot! I'll check eBay. I'm concerned to get a camera that is in good shape since they are now out of production. I would like a new one with the Nikon guarantee.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back