• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with sx 70 hs (1 Viewer)

many thanks Its a struggle and I understand totally that a steady hand is key at the long end looking through the viewfinder sometimes you would think there was an earthquake going on under my feet ,I spent the last year or 2 with the sx 50 and do not think it came off auto more than a handful of times always jpeg so I am trying to get off auto this time and since downloading DPP and examining my pics more closely I think I have become very critical, which is a good thing, I was out last week and had at least 5 mins taking pics of buzzards above my head quite relatively close and I could not wait to get home to check them out- just about every one came out very dark ( bright sky) almost unsalvageable-I was absolutely gutted I was on 2000ths/sec and the best ones which were ok were the ones I tried in auto ,a big leaning curve. These 2 were the best I could manage and cropped edited out of around 20 pics. Day off work today and to be fair I have spent a lot of it looking at the Sony rx 10 iv and wondering if the faster auto focus and better sensor would have got me better shots altho at half the zoom, or then again its my technique and lack of skill, The last thing I would want is to change camera and my pics are not vastly improved, I could buy a racing car but it does not make me a racing car driver :)

Alan, I'm not being critical here but I reckon anyone will tell you that changing bridge cameras will not make or break your pictures, particularly when you have a canon that is considered by some reviewers to be as good as any other bridge camera.

When I look back at my pictures in the early days, they were a world away from my pictures now, but the good news is that the changes needed to make that difference are actually negligible.

I certainly made it much more difficult than it needed to be, and I'm guessing others do too. There are three things that will get you a decent image with a good bridge camera which you have: decent light, keeping the camera steady, getting reasonably close. In the event you have those three things, I guarantee you will be happy with the results: with your canon.

Alan, I'm not being critical here but I reckon anyone will tell you that changing bridge cameras will not make or break your pictures, particularly when you have a canon that is considered by some reviewers to be as good as any other bridge camera.

When I look back at my pictures in the early days, they were a world away from my pictures now, but the good news is that the changes needed to make that difference are actually negligible.

I certainly made it much more difficult than it needed to be, and I'm guessing others do too. There are three things that will get you a decent image with a good bridge camera which you have: decent light, keeping the camera steady, getting reasonably close. In the event you have those three things, I guarantee you will be happy with the results: with your canon.
many thanks your a good man, and its much appreciated it really is I shall persevere you never know in a few years time I may be able to return the favour on this forum and give out some advise my self ,hope you have a great weekend regards al

many thanks your a good man, and its much appreciated it really is I shall persevere you never know in a few years time I may be able to return the favour on this forum and give out some advise my self ,hope you have a great weekend regards al

No bother, mate. I'm certainly looking at my pictures and thinking: "they could be better, I've seen much better images taken with this camera". Many of us will be thinking the same. But, I do know from experience that keeping the camera steady and taking pictures in decent light will make a world of difference. 'All the best!

No bother, mate. I'm certainly looking at my pictures and thinking: "they could be better, I've seen much better images taken with this camera". Many of us will be thinking the same. But, I do know from experience that keeping the camera steady and taking pictures in decent light will make a world of difference. 'All the best!
you too and thanks you have given me a proper perspective and to be honest its what I needed Im going to chill out and enjoy my walks and pics TC bud :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back