• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harriers Cambrian mountains (wales) (1 Viewer)

Hi, I would appreciate any information on hen harriers in the Cambrian mountains and what area thy are in.
Thanks for anyone who helps with this.

Funny that we now have two recent members both asking about raptors in Wales in the Rare Birds section (which is meant to share reports of vagrants).

I doubt that people will share information, given that Hen Harriers are the prime target of British gamekeepers and even more at risk than Honey Buzzards.
Two recent members who share the same surname..... ;)

John

I just thought it would be a good place to go on holiday because I want to see birds. If you won’t help that’s fine, you probably think I want to kill it or something which I get because hen harriers are killed a lot in the country so I will just have to find my own. I just wanted to see a rare bird of prey.

If I wanted to harm or kill the bird then I would have a different surname not the same.
Don't take it personally- both birds you asked about are rare breeding birds in this country, so most people don't answer your question to anyone they don't know well. Egg thieves are still a problem, and it's breeding season soon, so a particularly bad time to ask!

I think to find one I would have to go to a good habitat spot for hen harriers and wait at a good viewpoint il not interested in getting a close view just through binoculars or scope.

You could be well served by keeping an eye on the bird news services. The North Wales coast had a visiting Hen Harrier.

Jude, if I've got this wrong, then I'm being really unfair to you, and sincere apologies in advance to someone who's developing an interest in birds, and trying to join in with others in this wonderful hobby. As always, birds' welfare comes before the interests of anyone posting here

The thing is, why set up 2 accounts, on Saturday & Sunday, with similar names, asking about 2 severely persecuted species at the start of their breeding season when any sightings in the next months could lead to nesting locations? You obviously know a reasonable amount about Welsh birds because you're not asking about other species such as GWE, Crossbill, Red Kite, Black Grouse, etc - just 2 of the severely persecuted ones

And, no-one has chipped in to say "Oy, I know Jude, he's a good lad, leave him alone won't you?"

You can see how it looks - you've asked the wrong questions, in the wrong way, at the wrong time

Once again, apologies if I've misunderstood

It’s okay I realise now how it looks but the other person who asked about the honey buzzards in north wales is my brother. I was looking for information and found this app so signed up and asked a question and so did my brother. I probably should’ve thought before I asked because it makes my brother look like he’s an egg collector or wants to kill the birds but we both don’t. It looks and sounds really bad I know and I can see why you are suspicious. I am interested in raptors especially and that’s why I asked and now I know that it looks really bad.

My brother was quite annoyed at me because he thinks no one is going to trust him any more. I won’t ask any more questions about persecuted birds then because I know how it looks.

You can often see a few Hen Harriers from the Old Baths car park at Parkgate on the English side of the Dee Estuary at this time of year. Especially but not exclusively at dusk when they might come to the marsh to roost. But you need patience and good optics as they can be distant. The beauty of Parkgate is that you sit in your car.

Check this website for sightings around the estuary and for maps. Good luck if you have a genuine interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back