• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harriers (1 Viewer)

at this time of year they can turn up at all sorts of wetland and coastal sites. I think there's been some sightings of hen harrier at Ham Wall RSPB recently - maybe a local can confirm though. I'd have thought the WWT reserve at Steart Marshes is a likely spot too in winter.
In the breeding season you'll have to travel a fair way from Somerset, to upland moors in the north or Scotland. Langholm moor in SW Scotland is a good place for them.

I last saw one over Oare Marshes (Kent) about three weeks back. There's a very good chance of seeing one there, with Elmley across the Swale arguably better still.

at this time of year they can turn up at all sorts of wetland and coastal sites. I think there's been some sightings of hen harrier at Ham Wall RSPB recently - maybe a local can confirm though. I'd have thought the WWT reserve at Steart Marshes is a likely spot too in winter.
In the breeding season you'll have to travel a fair way from Somerset, to upland moors in the north or Scotland. Langholm moor in SW Scotland is a good place for them.
thank you

I think they are more or less guaranteed at roost at places like Wicken Fen in Cambridgshire, and at Parkgate, Dee Estuary, Cheshire at this time of year. Steart Marshes seems to hold a bird most days in winter.

Last edited:
I last saw one over Oare Marshes (Kent) about three weeks back. There's a very good chance of seeing one there, with Elmley across the Swale arguably better still.
Rather than pay for Elmley you might try Capel Fleet, any raptor using Elmley will likely pass through Capel Fleet at some point.

John

Rather than pay for Elmley you might try Capel Fleet, any raptor using Elmley will likely pass through Capel Fleet at some point.

John
Good point, although with Oare only 45 mins walk away I take my chances there. I think the walk from Swale station to Elmley is about that long!

I won't say that the owners of Elmley are doing a bad job - habitat seems fairly well maintained, but it's not as good as it was in it's RSPB days.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back