• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, from Markinch Scotland. I have just seen a Crested Tit in my garden. I have a bird feeder and regularly fill it. Is this quite unusual ? (1 Viewer)

Quite so.
Even more so given that they rely on conifers (contiguous patches of conifers, I believe).

Still, even where they are regular birds, they may be uncommon in gardens (see below for Finland).
I have once heard great tit sounding as a crested tit to a degree that if I hadn't seen it, I would definitely say crested. But the place (my yard, quite isolated place with little forest surrounded by fields) rose suspicion and I confirmed visually that it was a great tit. Over some 20 years I have seen crested tit just few times at my yard.

Also great tit calling like willow tit was so similar that without visual observation it would have definitely passed as a willow.

So I would say that these both records are about 99.99% certain crested tit;)

Regards, Juhani

Do you have a photo?

EDIT: I'd wonder whether it came from the Scottish population or if it was blown in from Norway by the gales? Anyway, I think it would be a good county record to submit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111-100650_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111-100650_Brave.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Still, even where they are regular birds, they may be uncommon in gardens (see below for Finland).
Or common.

Where feeders are adjacent to coniferous forest, esp. spruce and pine in this area, Crested Tits regularly join the feeding flocks at feeders.

Crested Tits were regular at my feeders in Vilnius (where pine abutted the garden), but I have never had them on my feeders in Labanoras where they do occur just a couple of hundred metres away in spruce, but almost never wander into the deciduous forest that my feeders are in.

Attachments

• Crested_Tit_gar_2.jpg
    Crested_Tit_gar_2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 4
Regarding my garden, the most important factor why crested tits have been so rare, is the isolated nature of the little (coniferous)forest patches around my yard as they are surrounded by fields from almost every direction. The nearest forest are also very strongly under forestry practises and thus not ideal (as nesting sites at least) for crested tits anyway.

When the yard is located near large forest areas with decent habitat (=near nesting areas and without large open fields in between), crested tits can be quite common visitor on feeders. But overall as they also make their own food storages for the winter, they seem to be less intrested on feeders in wintern than other tits.

Regards, Juhani

Hi Vivy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage. I'll not join in the discussion regarding Crested Tits, as it's already been well covered by others.

If he comes back it would be wonderful if you could try to get a picture of it, as it would be a remarkable record for Fife. Twenty years ago I'm sure I spotted one in the forest area of Dunkeld, but didn't have a camera in those days. I've not seen one in this area since then.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I was going to say - no chance. (Worded more politely of course), but the two isolated south-westerly most dots on the ebird map above are from Oct/Nov 2023. Maybe something has caused Crested Tits to move this autumn.

Coal Tits have had a massive dispersal this autumn and have been confused with Crested Tit in the past, so that’s a possibility too.

If it’s regularly visiting your feeders then definitely get a photo, even a phone photo, as it might struggle to be accepted without.

Is Crested Tits rare in Fife Scotland.
I was going to say - no chance. (Worded more politely of course), but the two isolated south-westerly most dots on the ebird map above are from Oct/Nov 2023. Maybe something has caused Crested Tits to move this autumn.

Coal Tits have had a massive dispersal this autumn and have been confused with Crested Tit in the past, so that’s a possibility too.

If it’s regularly visiting your feeders then definitely get a photo, even a phone photo, as it might struggle to be accepted without.
Thanks l will definitely look out for it and if l can will take a photo. It caught my attention because of the creast as l had never seen anything like it before. I did wonder if it could have been blown this way because of the gales. I feel very fortunate to have sighted one. It was so unusual that l had to look it up to see if l could identify it.
I appreciate you replying to my query. Regards Vivienne.

Hi Vivy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage. I'll not join in the discussion regarding Crested Tits, as it's already been well covered by others.

If he comes back it would be wonderful if you could try to get a picture of it, as it would be a remarkable record for Fife. Twenty years ago I'm sure I spotted one in the forest area of Dunkeld, but didn't have a camera in those days. I've not seen one in this area since then.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thankyou so much. I will certainly look out for any of your Scottish Bashes. I would love to try to attend. I have only really become an avid bird watcher this past year and have a feeding station with all different types of bird food to try and attract the birds. I live on the edge of a wood and have been lucky enough to have all sorts at my table. I saw this unusual bird this morning and l have a small pair of binoculars which l looked through and noticed the crest. It was so noticeably different from anything l had seen before l had to go and look in up. I regonised it as soon as l came upon Crested Tit.
I wondered if it had been blown down here due to the awful gales we have had the past two weeks. I will an eye and if it appears again l will attempt to photograph it. I feel very fortunate to have seen one and it certainly gave me a buzz when l realised it was quite rare. I will post if l capture it. You do realise l will be probably camping out at my kitchen window now on the hope it visits my garden again.
Regards Vivienne.

I wouldn’t set too much store on ebird records. I use ebird and love it but it has its limitations. The East Dumbartonshire record has no photo or description attached.

As I said Crested Tits are extremely rare outside of their breeding range in Scotland. Even North East Scotland, the recording area closest to those in the the breeding range hadn’t had any records in the 2010s.

David

Thanks l will definitely look out for it and if l can will take a photo. It caught my attention because of the creast as l had never seen anything like it before. I did wonder if it could have been blown this way because of the gales. I feel very fortunate to have sighted one. It was so unusual that l had to look it up to see if l could identify it.
I appreciate you replying to my query. Regards Vivienne.
Also. I have had coal tits visit so it was was definitely not one of them. Cheers.

I wouldn’t set too much store on ebird records. I use ebird and love it but it has its limitations. The East Dumbartonshire record has no photo or description attached.

As I said Crested Tits are extremely rare outside of their breeding range in Scotland. Even North East Scotland, the recording area closest to those in the the breeding range hadn’t had any records in the 2010s.

David
That was sort of what I was implying. I would imagine that most/all these extra limital records are ‘crested’ Coal Tits.

Just for balance, there was that article by John Cantelo outlining extra-limital records of Crested Tit in England.

That's not to say anything about this potential record (try and get that photo!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back