• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi there Guatemala ID please (1 Viewer)

Brewsky

Netherlands
Hi all! Nice to be part of a birding society :) I'm just getting started with birding and becoming more interested since I'm travelling Central America. From most birds that I photographed over the last months I could figure out the name. However, this one remains a mystery to me. It does not help that the picture is not great. The picture was taken in Biotopo del Quetzal in Guatemala. Cheers, Rik20220528123612_IMG_2215 kopie (1).JPG

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Rik and a warm welcome from me too. I've moved your post to the ID forum, as you've a better chance of getting him named there. I'm guessing it's a crested something LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, can’t help with an ID.

An interesting photo. My thought process went something like this :
- might be one of those annoyingly similar-to-each-other small flycatchers
- but that uneven eye ring looks more like a ruby-crowned kinglet - and it's got a dark wing bar and a crest too!
- but the crest isn't red, and the crest is too big and ragged for a kinglet
- isn't there a vireo with an asymmetric eye ring like that?

Searching on Wikipedia's list of Guatemalan birds, Hutton's vireo looks like a good match.

Thanks for the warm welcome!! My initial thought was also a flycatcher. I found one with crest and eye ring that comes close: the Cordilleran Flycatcher. But I'm not sure..

I have one other bird that I can't find the name of. It was quite common and I've spotted it mainly in the region of Flores in Guatemala. Does anyone know this bird? 20220531091926_IMG_2374 kopie.JPG

An interesting photo. My thought process went something like this :
- might be one of those annoyingly similar-to-each-other small flycatchers
- but that uneven eye ring looks more like a ruby-crowned kinglet - and it's got a dark wing bar and a crest too!
- but the crest isn't red, and the crest is too big and ragged for a kinglet
- isn't there a vireo with an asymmetric eye ring like that?

Searching on Wikipedia's list of Guatemalan birds, Hutton's vireo looks like a good match.
No it's not a vireo: it's a tyrant flycatcher. It's almost certainly yellowish flycatcher, although the apparently rufous tail is not correct. (But it's even more wrong for the other common ones that look similar—tufted and yellow-bellied.)

Belted Flycatcher might fit as the crest, eye-crescent, double wing bars and longish tail are all pro features. I've tried playing around with the levels in photoshop but its an awkward one to put it mildly.

Stu

Belted Flycatcher might fit as the crest, eye-crescent, double wing bars and longish tail are all pro features. I've tried playing around with the levels in photoshop but its an awkward one to put it mildly.

Stu
Perhaps, although it's not on the ebird list. I don't know that species but wouldn't we expect a longer crest?

Despite the photo quality (and I'm guessing the apparent tail coloration is a photo artifact), the location + what we can see is enough to quite confidently call this Yellowish Flycatcher, at least that's my take :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back