• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded/carrion crow hybrid? Cottbus, Germany (1 Viewer)

Hello Henry,
do you have more pictures, where the underparts are better visible?
First, white (not pale grey!) feathers are some abnormal colouration or/and underlying plumes (on the belly).

Regarding the hybrid question: I see what well might be paler grey frings on the undertail coverts and an indication of a greyish band across the lower breast. I dont know, if its real. Also, because position seems slightly too high imo, but this difficult to judge, at least for me.

Thank you for the new pictures, Henry!
Still difficult to see/judge on my actual screen. If the grey parts on the outer breast and shoulder (?) are real, than this would be a clear indication of Hooded Crow influence.
But I better wait until looking at the pictures on another screen or more comments.

Looking at this pictures again, this bird and ther pictures are very hard for me. Is it a sure Raven, or is it a Carrion Crow? When seeing it first, I just jumped on the hybrid and the interesting plumage question, and when I read the question from Tom, I saw a Raven in it, but looking at the pictures again, I am not so sure anymore.
Conclusion? Mystery solved? I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, but I hope for more comments regarding the ID of this bird and leaving the hybrid/plumage question aside. Would be helpfull to me!

Alexander, this bird has some serious feather issues (depigmantation, scruffiness) maybe due to a virus or other disease. Which means that it surely is smaller and smaller billed than usual. Knowing that very young Raven are not so easy to identify, these pictures may just not be good enough to get a final ID. I still think Raven is most plausible

Alexander, this bird has some serious feather issues (depigmantation, scruffiness) maybe due to a virus or other disease. Which means that it surely is smaller and smaller billed than usual. Knowing that very young Raven are not so easy to identify, these pictures may just not be good enough to get a final ID. I still think Raven is most plausible

Thank you Tom for your fast answer of my question.

I think you have written the perfect answer of this bird!

Thank you Tom for your fast answer of my question.

I think you have written the perfect answer of this bird!
Hi,

Fully agreeing with Tom, I'd like to add that the plumage doesn't look like hybrid plumage to me, at all. I've seen quite a few hybrids in Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg, and the grey areas are quite well defined, only smaller than with pure hooded crows.

There's a good description with comparative drawings available on ornitho.de, if you navigate their menus successfully.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back