• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper (?), possible marsh warbler, Cottbus, Germany (2 Viewers)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Hi, can anyone help with a couple of IDs? Both in a wetland habitat near Cottbus in Germany.

Bird one in the pictures (same bird) -- is this a common sandpiper?

Bird 2 in the audio file -- there are are a few birds audible, but Birdnet suggested that one is a marsh warbler -- does this seem right? (I've kept the whole recording rather than editing because I'm not sure what could be a marsh warbler imitating, and what's actually a different bird.)

Attachments

• sandq1_4S0A9952.jpg
    sandq1_4S0A9952.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 38
  • sandq2_4S0A9952.jpg
    sandq2_4S0A9952.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 39
  • marshw_q_2023-04-30 14_14 (1).wav
    4.2 MB
That I cannot hear it myself doesn't mean it's not there, but I do hear a nightingale (probably Common on range)--even more so when I see the sonogram--which accounts for a large chunk of the foreground noise. I think I can also hear another nightingale whistling in the background very faintly, starting from around 0:19. https://birdnet.cornell.edu/api/ has been down for a few days, so I can't check whether it hears a nightingale as well, i.e. if I'm contributing something new to the discussion. Anyway, I like this article about reed warbler songs--have you seen it (it also includes plastic songs and pretty elaborate plates): 9 - In your dreams - The Sound Approach.

That I cannot hear it myself doesn't mean it's not there, but I do hear a nightingale (probably Common on range)--even more so when I see the sonogram--which accounts for a large chunk of the foreground noise. I think I can also hear another nightingale whistling in the background very faintly, starting from around 0:19. https://birdnet.cornell.edu/api/ has been down for a few days, so I can't check whether it hears a nightingale as well, i.e. if I'm contributing something new to the discussion. Anyway, I like this article about reed warbler songs--have you seen it (it also includes plastic songs and pretty elaborate plates): 9 - In your dreams - The Sound Approach.
Interesting link -- I need to take some time to read through that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back