• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horornis carolinae (Rozendaal, 1987) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Horornis carolinae (Rozendaal, 1987) OD here
Etymology. — It gives me great pleasure to name this new species after my wife Caroline, who has been instrumental to the success of our fieldwork during 1985 in eastern Indonesia. The species being devoid of any suitably distinctive, descriptive morphological character or otherwise commemorative attribute, I would propose Tanimbar Warbler as an appropriate vernacular name, in line with the geographical names of Pacific relatives.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Tanimbar Bush Warbler Cettia carolinae F. G. Rozendaal, 1987
Caroline Rozendaal is the wife of Dutch ornithologist Frank G. Rozendaal (1957–2013). A mammal is also named after her.

The Key to Scientific Names
Caroline M. Rozendaal-Kortekaas (fl. 2013) collector and wife of Dutch ornithologist Frank G. Rozendaal (Horornis).

Not sure if we should deal with her life dates as there is a good chance that she is hopefully still alive. As well no idea if there is a middle name M.

Martin, this lady and "her" bird was earlier dealt with (back in December 2017) in the thread Rozendaal-Kortekaas's Bush-Warbler (here).

At that point I was just adding to what was then known/told/stated in the old HBW Alive Key, in line with Jobling's Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010):

Jobling (2010).jpg

Thus, no real need/use for yet another thread, on the same eponym ... ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back