• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how do you feel about the asymmetrical design of Pocket 8x25? (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
I've seen pro and con arguments against the asymmetrical design of the Zeiss Pockets whille scouring through the many comments spread out on this forum.

I was thinking it might be more convenient to have them all in one place: How do you feel about the asymmetrical focuser on the Pockets? Does it work for you? Did you get over it? Or did you have to let the bins go?

My pandemic binoculars!
Probably the smallest I could use, and this is possible mainly because of the single hinge/offset design.
Have now sold them for a slightly bigger Zeiss model now, but enjoyed them in the days of walks from the house, and casual use.

The asymmetric design I thought was very good.

Last edited:
I tried them at the store and quickly decided I didn't like the asymmetrical focuser. There's no pro or con, I just didn't like it, it's too different from all the other binos I've used, it felt too awkward. But I agree with you, I don't like double hinge either. So I applaud the creativity in the design, if it feels comfortable I'd go for it.

I like the single hinge design well enough, but no more or less overall than a double hinge design with positive stops (e.g. Leica Ultravid). My only complaint about its execution on the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, is that the reach to the knob for the index finger of my right hand is actually a bit too far for efficient focusing (i.e. really being able to roll the knob with one long "pull" or push of my finger). This wasn't a problem with the Zeiss 8x20 Victory Compact because it was smaller and so the reach was shorter. On the 8x25, the reach for the index finger of the left hand is slightly cramped but is better overall than for the right hand, whereas on the 8x20, the reach for the left hand is really too short/cramped to work well.

--AP

As a right handed person, I'm a big fan of the VP single asymmetric hinge design, but it's a matter of personal preference of course and given the size of my hands (medium to large) it is perfect for me and the smooth, light, even focus function of my example works well enough left handed when necessary.

Mike

I love them. The issue I have with double hinge is that the action of focusing often changes the position of the double hinges while in a single hinge design, the focus is on the single hinge so the hinge doesn't go in or out as a result of focusing.

I seriously don't like the diopter though. It's often in another place, inadvertently, because it's too big and a bit too loose.

Worked very well for me when I tried it. I much preferred the single hinge to double-hinge pocket binos. But you probably ought to try it yourself, just to make sure you get along with it. The asymmetric design might not work so well if you were a left-hander, for instance.

I prefer the single hinge, it makes the handling easier and my finger just falls easily onto the focus wheel. The small increase in folded bulk is irrelevant for me as they are still very small and light.

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 single hinge works well for me. The focus knob adjusts especially well right-handed but I find it works just fine left-handed as well. The focus knob tangles at my shirt pockets on pocket entry and take-out for me, slowing the time to get the bino on to the bird by about 3 seconds compared to double-hinge. I like single-hinged and double-hinged for different reasons. Call me unhinged if you like.

I really dislike that uneven design..... however....
When I tried it recently, it actually works well, and no issues with right finger reach/focussing.
Very comfortable binos to use, and I can see how some folk have them as a main bino. Very impressive.

I much prefer a single hinge design, but it actually makes them a LOT bulkier folded than Curios or Ultras. How important is this.... there is a substantial difference due to that design. There is ALWAYS a compromise.
Ask youself if you just need a small bino, or a REALLY small bino.

And for what it's worth, in my opinion, the Curios edge the VP's on overall image quality. Especially noticeable looking into a shaded area..... more detail through the Curios. I was quite surprised at that!
Additionally, the VP's are quite utilitarian, but those Curios really make you look at them before looking through them..... they feel and look beautifull !!!!
My concern would be being too precious, whereas the VP's are just more 'tool'.

But if anyone is seriously disappointed in the VP's, the Ultras, or the Curios.... you probably need to have a word with yourself... they are all superb quality.... we are spoilt these days.

THAT offset hinge..... well I reckon you'll just know when you pick 'em up.

"how do you feel about the asymmetrical design of Pocket 8x25?"
Good for ease of use.
Bad for large folding volume.

"how do you feel about the asymmetrical design of Pocket 8x25?"​

I like it. Its fine. I did not, (and do not) intend to carry my VPs in any pocket other than the larger ones found outside on most jackets intended for cold weather. In warm weather, I don't see a need for pocket-ability. The single hinge is less of an issue keeping IPD set, as others have said. One caveat though, it works best for right handers... I only collapse mine when packing for a trip in my backpack, carefully wrapped in a T-shirt. The then hinge bump is a non issue - for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back