• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you record non-bird wildlife? (1 Viewer)

If you mean simply making a record - easy, everything goes into my birding diary. If, in the distant future, I want to "upgrade" to a mammal or insect recording piece of software I’ll just go back to my paper records.

Birdjournal has checklists for those insects I do pay (some) attention to - butterflies, moths, hoverflies, dragonflies, bumblebees, as well as mammals, amphibians, reptiles and cetaceans etc. However, you'd have to see if there is a taxonomy list/checklist for the locations you plan to use it for - though it is also possible to create and upload your own checklists to the library for everyone to use (if you have the time/patience etc). UK has very good coverage, with Europe also having fairly decent coverage. Other locations maybe less so.

Strong agree for iNaturalist as an excellent online option. The big downside is that to have a "real" record - one where other people can agree (or disagree) with your ID, you need to have evidence, typically a picture. That's frustrating for things like butterflies which often sit still until a few milliseconds before you get the camera focused. 😭

For desktop record keeping, I'll throw Scythebill (my free software) in for consideration as well. Lots of non-avian taxonomies and (spoiler alert) a Butterflies of the World taxonomy will be showing up soon. (There's already North American and European butterfly taxonomies.)

Afternoon.

Has anyone heard anything from Birdjournal about updates/ software development? I posted a Twitter message to them but no reply.

The software still works well but, to me, the data analysis/ dashboards have been left behind by INaturalist & Irecord.

Regards

Afternoon.

Has anyone heard anything from Birdjournal about updates/ software development? I posted a Twitter message to them but no reply.

The software still works well but, to me, the data analysis/ dashboards have been left behind by INaturalist & Irecord.

Regards
Just had a look at the website/blog, as well as Facebook/Twitter. Most recent activity seems to be on Twitter (June 2022), which is concerning as customer support was very quick, and exceedingly helpful previously (when required). I find Birdjournal quick and easy to use and would hate to have to move to another app/site given I have ALL my birding records on BirdJournal, as I've not been impressed with those I've tried.

Just had a look at the website/blog, as well as Facebook/Twitter. Most recent activity seems to be on Twitter (June 2022), which is concerning as customer support was very quick, and exceedingly helpful previously (when required). I find Birdjournal quick and easy to use and would hate to have to move to another app/site given I have ALL my birding records on BirdJournal, as I've not been impressed with those I've tried.
Afternoon.

Completety agree about moving across to another software package. I haven’t found a package where I can add my field notes tide, weather, missed species etc to an entry.

I’m a premium member, for the additional non-birding access, so lets see if they take next year’s subscription out.

Regards

I commit everything to memory - whether it's birds or any other wildlife. Why do we have to list everything? I guess I'm asking the wrong people.

I commit everything to memory - whether it's birds or any other wildlife. Why do we have to list everything? I guess I'm asking the wrong people.
You don't HAVE to. I can remember what I've seen and more or less the exact location (often down to the exact tree/bush/rock), but I can't remember exactly when for every sighting, so having a list in an app helps me reference when I might expect to cross paths with species seen previously etc. Also, memory isn't permanent, nor perfect....as I'm discovering more and more as the years pass.

I'm usually too lazy, anyway--unless something interesting crops up that I want to have on my personal list/add to the hotspot list, or I've travelled a long way and don't want it to be for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back