• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long to stay in Mindo, Ecuador (2 Viewers)

Just had four days birding, based in Mindo but driving out every day. Furthest away was Silanche, about 75 minutes, and closest started only 15 minutes out of Mindo (Ecoruta Paseo del Quinde). Apparently the Ecoruta was the main road to Quito 40 years ago, though it’s only a track. The Ecoruta produced great views of Plate Billed Mountain Toucan, Beautiful Jay, Turquoise Jay, Masked Trogon and many smaller birds. We left hotel at 6h30 and the Ecoruta was empty, we saw nobody else . Apparently if you go later it is used by cyclists and motorbikes for day trips.
Without a guide we would have struggled to locate and identify most of the smaller birds, since he initially identified many by song, before finding them in the bushes. He was really eagle eyed and had to assist us with laser pointer for most of the spottings. If you decide to take a taxi to the waterfall area and walk down, do not do it at the weekend, since traffic is almost constant and the track not very wide.
We used Jorge Luna as guide. He is excellent and easy to get on with, also a good driver.
We are staying at Terrazas de Dana in a room with a terrace overlooking the mountain ; the views are sensational.

There are actually 2 recent trip reports in the Trip report Section by lgonz1008 and myself covering the area you are trying to visit. Id recommend having a look at those, as both trips are covering similiar places but with a different approach to them. So maybe you find the best way for yourself there by our experiences :)
If you want to do a little bit more budget variation of the Ecuadorian Amazon you might want to have a look at the Misuahali / Tena area. Easier reachable, easier logistics but not on the same level as the areas only reachable by canoe regarding Macaws for example.
If you have any questions iam happy to help.
Hi Thanks for your info - I am studying your references - if you did comeacross any guide names that would really help - I have been stuck before ending up with local "guides" ... one appeared with opera glasses whilst I was in Jamaica before!! :))

Just had four days birding, based in Mindo but driving out every day. Furthest away was Silanche, about 75 minutes, and closest started only 15 minutes out of Mindo (Ecoruta Paseo del Quinde). Apparently the Ecoruta was the main road to Quito 40 years ago, though it’s only a track. The Ecoruta produced great views of Plate Billed Mountain Toucan, Beautiful Jay, Turquoise Jay, Masked Trogon and many smaller birds. We left hotel at 6h30 and the Ecoruta was empty, we saw nobody else . Apparently if you go later it is used by cyclists and motorbikes for day trips.
Without a guide we would have struggled to locate and identify most of the smaller birds, since he initially identified many by song, before finding them in the bushes. He was really eagle eyed and had to assist us with laser pointer for most of the spottings. If you decide to take a taxi to the waterfall area and walk down, do not do it at the weekend, since traffic is almost constant and the track not very wide.
We used Jorge Luna as guide. He is excellent and easy to get on with, also a good driver.
We are staying at Terrazas de Dana in a room with a terrace overlooking the mountain ; the views are sensational.
Thank you - do you know how I might reach Jorge? Are you there now?

Thanks - unfortunately I couldn’t get anyone from birdwatch - but I did manage to get to a couple of feeding stations .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back